[SSD Plex NAS] QNAP TBS-453DX or TS-251D

Currently reading
[SSD Plex NAS] QNAP TBS-453DX or TS-251D

Operating system
  1. macOS
Mobile operating system
  1. iOS
Hi,
I want to create a Plex NAS that's very silent for my living room.

That's why I want to go for SSDs, I don't like the clicking sound of the HDDs.

For the NAS, I think I boiled it down to one of these two:
- QNAP TBS-453DX (8GB ram) - ¥83,235
- QNAP TS-251D (2GB ram) - ¥61,995

I'm planning to add SEAGATE Ironwolf SSD storage to them. I only need 1~2TB storage, so I'm really fine with SSD and not HDD.

The TBS-453DX was made just for SSD NASes. However, it's already a year old.
The TS-251D is just updated in 2020, but it's not made for SSD per se.

I wonder if the CPU is much better in the TS-251D. Is the CPU important for plex?

Any insight much appreciated!

Last edited:
In some cases CPU on the Plex Media Server host isn't that important :)
I have PMS installed on the DS918+ which only provides an organized library for my HTPC in my living room which relies on the PLEX library to feed Kodi (which is on my HTPC) so the media reside on the NAS and is organized by Plex and is accessed and processed by my HTPC (Kodi uses the PlexKodiConnect extension) so the compute power is mainly on the HTPC. No transcoding whatsoever on the NAS itself as far as I can see.

I as well would suggest that you offload the Media host (Kodi, Plex) to another device on your Network such as an HTPC. The processing and memory in the lower end NAS models are not very robust. Let the NAS function as storage only.

In some cases CPU on the Plex Media Server host isn't that important :)
I have PMS installed on the DS918+ which only provides an organized library for my HTPC in my living room which relies on the PLEX library to feed Kodi (which is on my HTPC) so the media reside on the NAS and is organized by Plex and is accessed and processed by my HTPC (Kodi uses the PlexKodiConnect extension) so the compute power is mainly on the HTPC. No transcoding whatsoever on the NAS itself as far as I can see.
Question was was cpu important for plex. The answer is yes. There was no mention of transcode. Still if you will use any plex client capable of direct playing/streaming then there is no reason not to have pms on the nas of any kind. Considering that we all know this, no need to elaborate on specific use cases. I will agree that it heavy depends on your overall plex usage, content, clients and number of clients but hopefully we will not discuss about that in a qnap related topic on a syno forum ;).

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.