SSD Storage pool for Synology photos

NAS
DS920+
Operating system
  1. macOS
Mobile operating system
  1. Android
  2. iOS
Hi, I'm wondering would it be better for me to have SSD is instead of HDD on my DS 920+ the thing that I want to do is to reduce the lag when I'm using Synology photos. This will this help with SSD's I have over 20,000 pictures and small videos. Sometime the video does not load sometime takes a long time for it to load if I were to buy for 4 4TB SSD and use them in the raid do you think this would help. I have cash on my DS920+ read and write 1 TB but it did not help. Another question that I have is now I have 3 8TB hard drives and one 4TB hard drive. Would it be possible to maybe keep the three 8TB HDD in one storage pool and then remove the 1 4TB Drive and replace it maybe with one SSD in a separate storage pool. Would this also require formatting the whole system?

Last edited:
Should be no problem. I had 4 SSD in the DS415+, and now 6 in the DS620slim.

Latency is indeed reduced with SSD. Full photo loading time will hardly change, as also HDD will saturate the 120MB/s ethernet connection easily. So pretty sure that you will NOT see an improvement for photo/video.
Most benefits I see are in many really smal files like php and database transactions, as well as system actions and file transactions within the NAS like copy/move, indexing and rebuild.

You can add an SSD in the separate pool without affecting the 3 disks in the other pool.

Should be no problem. I had 4 SSD in the DS415+, and now 6 in the DS620slim.

Latency is indeed reduced with SSD. Full photo loading time will hardly change, as also HDD will saturate the 120MB/s ethernet connection easily. So pretty sure if you will NOT see an improvement for photo/video.
Most benefits I see are in many really smal files like php and database transactions, as well as system actions and file transactions within the NAS like copy/move, indexing and rebuild.

You can add an SSD in the separate pool without affecting the 3 disks in the other pool.
So it won't change at all with SSD the weird thing is when I use Plex it almost plays the files immediately on my phone I forgot to mention I am wanting it to be fast on my phone to pull up pictures and videos quickly just like Google photos.

Last edited:
If you run speedtest from the nas, is the throughput ok?
I did use lan speedtest for this. Or blackmagic on MacOs

Last edited:
Have 2x SSD’s in one of my 720+
Compared to other 720+ (with 7200 Ironwolf’s) SSD’s are faster in operation. (Both have supported R/W Cache’s). 720+ with SSD’s is not supported SSD’s, but so far, so good.

Forgot the drive test numbers, but SSD’s much higher than HDD’s

Have 2x SSD’s in one of my 720+
Compared to other 720+ (with 7200 Ironwolf’s) SSD’s are faster in operation. (Both have supported R/W Cache’s). 720+ with SSD’s is not supported SSD’s, but so far, so good.

Forgot the drive test numbers, but SSD’s much higher than HDD’s
thats for local iops and r'w, but not the speeds at which they transmit data over LAN. also, when running that test, others services and apps which usually run and are consuming resources are temporarily paused which gives values which are only possible when nothing else on the machine is running

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Old thread notice: There have been no replies in this thread for quite some time. The last reply was on .
The content in this thread may no longer be relevant. It might be better to open a new thread instead.

Welcome to SynoForum.com!

SynoForum.com is an unofficial Synology forum for NAS owners and enthusiasts.

Registration is free, easy and fast!

Back