SSD Volume vs. HDD Volume with NVMe Cache

Currently reading
SSD Volume vs. HDD Volume with NVMe Cache

D

Deleted member 673

We're setting up a DS1621xs+ that will be used for:
- WebServices/nginx/php Web Application and MetaData Files --- 1GB, performance-sensitive, high-activity, read-write
- Media Files --- 15TB, low activity playback, 99% read-only

We have on-hand:
- 4x12TB Exos HDDs (RAID5 storage pool)
- 2x Synology NVMe SSDs (cache)
- 2x Synology SATA SSDs (optional additional storage pool)

Which of these configurations would result in best performance for the Web Application?
#1: Web and Media on the same HDD storage pool with NVMe read-write cache
#2: Web on an SSD storage pool -and- Media on an HDD storage pool with NVMe read-only cache
#3: Something Completely Different

Are there any considerations other than performance that should influence the choice?

Thanks in advance for your comments. Ron

Grats on the 1621!

#2: Web on an SSD storage pool -and- Media on an HDD storage pool with NVMe read-only cache
This would be my option. 2xSSD in RAID1 with 4x12 (RAID5) with cache on top of it.

I have several devices that have SSD array and nvme cache on top of, nothing faster or slower than using a pure SSD array.
Your "slow" array will benefit more even though it's only read of the media file. Considering that "apps" will be on the SSD array already no reason not to use the cache drives on the slow pool. You can always move it around later on, but atm, I would use solution 2.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks @Rusty. We're currently running your recommended configuration #2 on a DS3617xs - but with a SATA SSD read-only cache (vs NVMe) for the media files. Even with SSD cache, the Web App's directory reads of the media files are dramatically improved. Unfortunately, DS3617xs does not support NVMe, so we thought it wise to reconsider the configuration before migrating.

Given the same CPU and same (32GB) memory on both boxes, I suspect overall performance will be similar; and that's OK.

Thanks @Rusty. We're currently running your recommended configuration #2 on a DS3617xs - but with a SATA SSD read-only cache (vs NVMe) for the media files. Even with SSD cache, the Web App's directory reads of the media files are dramatically improved. Unfortunately, DS3617xs does not support NVMe, so we thought it wise to reconsider the configuration before migrating.

Given the same CPU and same (32GB) memory on both boxes, I suspect overall performance will be similar; and that's OK.
Generally from my tests, nvme with SSD array will not be super faster than a single SSD array, but in the case of 3617 you have already seen the benefit of having an ssd help you yes, you will have the same outcome here with 1621.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.