Currently reading
Start new or add and expand?

NAS
DS1621+, DS1819+
Operating system
  1. macOS
Mobile operating system
  1. iOS
I have a DS1618+ with 6 x 6TB drives. My employer was updating their servers and I was able to get 6 x 10 TB Seagate Ironwolf drives. The challenge is this: it has taken over 24 hours to add one of the 10TB drives ... still 5 to go., I know that the process taxes the hard drives so I am uncomfortable doing that 5 more times. I could pull all the drives and create a "new" NAS much easier. The issue then is copying 20TB of data from the backups. Fortunately, I'm on a 10gbe setup so it should about 24 hours to copy all the data. The big question is how do I get my settings over? Do I save them and then restore? Will that bring users and other settings?

Thanks

Stephen

Noting that not every setting is in the configuration backup.

See here
I don't use HyperBackup because of these limitations. I copy the data to a clone of my DS1618+ ... it is the settings I worry about ... and I see that Backup and Restore function also misses stuff ... i may have to go with add and expand and hope the drives hold up. I suppose if any die, that is good to know before a critical event happens

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.