Currently reading
Starting over ...

NAS
DS-718+
Operating system
  1. Windows
Mobile operating system
  1. iOS
Well, not really but that title seems apropos. For context, I have a DS-718+ with one 4 TB drive that used in a home environment. I have a new 4 TB drive that I'm ready to install. I also have my old NAS that I plan on doing a limited backup of the Synology to. (It does not have space for a full backup.)

Right now, my NAS is really nothing more than central storage. I backup each of our computers to it using Macrium Reflect. I also use the NAS as a central storehouse of pictures and music.

Things I'd like to do with it:

1. Serve music or video;
2. Allow family members limited access when outside the network (a controlled dropbox scenario);
3. Back up my Lorex home security system to expand the length of time of saved footage.

I've implemented some of these with limited results. I have Plex, but since we are iOS users, I have to pay for each device I connect. I'd like to find a free platform, at least for listening to my own music.

I know that creating a dropbox alternative requires using a VPN. I have Bitdefender VPN, but haven't been able to set it up properly, at least on a mobile device. Lastly, I haven't found a means to backup the Lorex system.

I'd appreciate any thoughts on the best configuration for adding the new drive. I'd also like any thoughts on how to accomplish what I'd like and I'm prepared to start over to get that done.

TIA!

Ds audio and audio station are quite capable to play your own music.
-- post merged: --

For the new drive, are you aiming for extra storage, redundant storage or both?

I have Plex, but since we are iOS users, I have to pay for each device I connect
Its a one time payment for the iOS app that unlocks it all. If you are all in Family Sharing then I guess you know what it means.

I know that creating a dropbox alternative requires using a VPN
Not at all. You can use Drive server with desktop/mobile clients via QC or DDNS connection, no need for VPN in that case.

Lastly, I haven't found a means to backup the Lorex system
Can't help on that front 1st hand, but have you tried this: LNC Cameras: Setting up NAS recording | LOREX Support

I have Plex, but since we are iOS users, I have to pay for each device I connect. I'd like to find a free platform, at least for listening to my own music.
My Plex solution for family and app usage:

I have a lifetime Plex Pass that covers all usage of the Plex app. The account that has the Plex Pass is obviously the admin account of my Plex server. With Plex Pass I can add managed users that have age restrictions to limit access to content, but they don't have a unique Plex login. Alternatively, I have created Plex accounts for family members and then added them as Friends/Home Users (can't remember which).

The result is that they get access to Plex and the iOS apps while having their own logins to the Plex-iverse. They are constrained to our Plex setup though.

For young users I'd recommend having as 'managed users' since Plex accounts get uncontrolled access to plex.tv free film and TV libraries.

iOS family sharing hasn't historically shared in-app purchases or subscriptions :( It's why I always look for the 'pro' version of apps instead of unlocking them. Though, IIRC, there was a recent change to allow developers to allow sharing.

First, thank you to everyone who replied.

Why "requires"?
"Requires" may have been too strong a term. In prior discussions on Synoforum, I understood that any time I allow access (even for myself) to the NAS from outside my home network, that access should be through a VPN.

For the new drive, are you aiming for extra storage, redundant storage or both?
I'm not certain and I'd appreciate any recommendations.

Its a one time payment for the iOS app that unlocks it all. If you are all in Family Sharing then I guess you know what it means.
I may just pay it in order to better explore the interface. Truth be told, this is something that I think we'd like, but I'm not certain we would actually use it.

Not at all. You can use Drive server with desktop/mobile clients via QC or DDNS connection, no need for VPN in that case.
Did I misunderstand the prior suggestions of only having external access to the NAS through VPN?

Can't help on that front 1st hand, but have you tried this: LNC Cameras: Setting up NAS recording | LOREX Support
Unfortunately, that solves one problem but creates another. I have a dedicated DVR recording my camera output. That's what I'd like to backup. The article seems to remove the DVR from the equation. I did find this article:

Which would allow me to backup specific videos to USB, but that appears to be manual only.

For best security but ofc that’s not the only way and it depends on your needs that in case so not favor vpn for example
I'd like to have that space available for sensitive documents, so I'm thinking that a VPN really is the best choice for me. My issue is that I've not been able to implement that successfully, at least through using my mobile device as the test bed.

I'd like to have that space available for sensitive documents, so I'm thinking that a VPN really is the best choice for me. My issue is that I've not been able to implement that successfully, at least through using my mobile device as the test bed.
Share your exact problem and what you did, maybe we can figure the problem out

As Rusty wrote, your precise need is important to how a solution will work out. In my personal case, I have external access to my internal resources through a VPN. I prefer it that way for the security aspect, although of course it requires you to establish the connection each time you want to call home.
One small point: you mentioned BitDefender VPN; for external access to your NAS this will not help you. You would typically use the VPN Server package on the NAS and then setup your own client to access your own server. This is a different use case to something like BitDefender.
You will find numerous tutorials/threads on this excellent community to help you with this...

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Welcome to SynoForum.com!

SynoForum.com is an unofficial Synology forum for NAS owners and enthusiasts.

Registration is free, easy and fast!

Back