Currently reading
startup and shutdown order for virtual machines and iscsi services

NAS
DSM 1621+
Operating system
  1. Linux
Mobile operating system
  1. Android
I have been working with virtual machines on a DiskStation. The machines act as iSCSI initiators for targets provided by the DiskStation SAN Manager. I recently posted a question related to this subject.

More recently, I encountered an issue relating to boot and shutdown order. When shutting down the DiskStation, DSM warns about active iSCSI connections. Ideally, it would simply wait until all VMs had completed their own power off sequence before stopping iSCSI services. Similarly, I have noticed that the virtual machines often fail to connect to the iSCSI services when they and the DiskStations start, and that mounting of the logical volumes must be handled manually, due to the services not yet having become active when the virtual machines originally attempt to mount the network drives.

What support is available for managing order of operations in the startup and shutdown sequences of DSM for smoother management?

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.