Startup DS220j when scheduled shutdown

NAS
DS220j
Operating system
  1. macOS
Mobile operating system
  1. iOS
Hello,
I would like to set Power Schedule to shutdown in the night and startup in the morning.
But I am going on a trip in a few days, and I am afraid that there could be situation that suddenly I need to have access to my NAS in the night.

So can I startup DS220j manually in such situation?

For any help great thanks in advance.

Best Regrads

Last edited:
Super, thanks. Actually sorry for ask, after all I could just test it :)
-- post merged: --

Super, thanks. Actually sorry for ask, after all I could just test it :)
Oh no. I've just tested and it does not work.
I get info "unable to connect QuickConnection". And there is no option to just press "Go".

Manual start for me means pressing the ON button, not logging on via quickconnect and hope it will wake up!
OK, that's why I wrote that I will be on a trip, to be clear that I don't have access to physical button :)
Ahh... misunderstanding :)
But thanks for your help.

You can try enabling Wake-on-LAN.
Control Panel > Hardware and power > Enable WoL.

Need to forward port 9 on the router and have a way to reach your public IP address (registered DDNS. Your router might be able to keep it updated).
You can use DS Finder (iOS or Android) to send a magic packet to wake up the DS.

But I’d rather keep it running. The DS220j consumes very little (about 13W according to specs).

Hello, great thanks for all answers.

After many discussion and research I see the best solution is to just not using power schedule and hibernate at all.

And as I've heard it's even better for drives. I thought opposite. I thought that turning off orderly my NAS will extend life of my NAS and drives.

I see the best solution is to just not using power schedule and hibernate at all.
Hibernate and power off are 2 separate things. You can use the hibernate feature for your nas and/or hdds, but turning it off and starting it again is not the same, not to mention in your case when you will have no access to it. Best to leave it running and if there are no services that prevent hibernation, it will "rest" when it can and spin up when needed.

WOL over internet does not work In many cases, your router should support it.
I’m using Magic Packet and I’ve tested it a few times from my phone using mobile data. I have to say that I’ve never tried DS Finder, so maybe that doesn’t work.

I don’t know about router support. I still think it’s a simple port forward like any other port forward to the NAS (at least while using the app above).

Even though I am here all the time and the only user, I shutdown my DS218+ at night as I see that as being the ultimate safety mechanism and, incidentally, my router does not support WOL.

Do you think that you will need to access particular files? For travelling, should I ever be able to do that again*, I have the most important files I might need saved, under password protection, in my iPhone. Should I need them at night I have them on the phone and if I lost my iPhone, bar coping with VPN and my 2-step authenticator, I can access the files, upload, download in the on/daytime.

* I have just replaced my almost expired my passport; valid for 10 years; how many of those 10 will be lost to covid? Still, not forgetting nearly 100,000 who will not be needing passports - ever.

I shutdown my DS218+ at night as I see that as being the ultimate safety mechanism
It won’t matter much, security wise. Shutting it half the time while it’s accessible remotely when it’s up is not a great security method (or argument) IMHO.

A friendly advice. Make sure your NAS is as secure as possible by applying the security suggestions that are discussed on the forum and provided in the resources section.

WST16 >>It won’t matter much, security wise. Shutting it half the time while it’s accessible remotely when it’s up is not a great security method (or argument) IMHO.

Well, nobody has hacked into it when it has been shut down.

WST16>>Make sure your NAS is as secure as possible by applying the security suggestions that are discussed on the forum and provided in the resources section

Quite agree; most definitely

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.