Currently reading
Status light flashing orange "Configuration Lost"

NAS
DS215J
Operating system
  1. macOS
  2. Windows
Hi All,

Apologies if I'm posting in the incorrect section.

I seem to be having trouble with my DS215J which started a few days ago. The status light keeps flashing orange which I understand from Gooling, is a "volume" issue. I tried accessing the NAS settings, but it reports "Configuration Lost" and it seems I have to reinstall DSM, but I'm worried about doing this because it will format my WDReds which contains a lot of data.

I dont know if its a coincidence but I've read that a new DSM OS had launched and my NAS buckled at the same time (it was set to auto-update), so I dont know if this was the culprit.

I'm thinking my best way of resolving this is to remove both WDReds and buy a new hard drive. Fit the new hard drive into slot one and install DSM. Once DSM is loaded, insert one of my two existing WDRed's to see if I can access the data.

Would you agree that this is the best action to take?

Thanks

I'm worried about doing this because it will format my WDReds which contains a lot of data.
It won't

Would you agree that this is the best action to take?
that won't work as you will degarde your initial volume and you will not be able to add it to your new volume with the new drive.

DSM reinstall will not wipe your data, it will (in some cases) reinstall your app, but your raw data will not be touched.

It won't

that won't work as you will degarde your initial volume and you will not be able to add it to your new volume with the new drive.

DSM reinstall will not wipe your data, it will (in some cases) reinstall your app, but your raw data will not be touched.
Is that for sure? Because when I look on YouTube, it looks like the below prompt will pop up. I've not checked to see if the prompt appears on mine.

The idea that I'm toying with seems to be what Synology is saying on their site unless I've read it wrong.

• You may also insert a healthy spare drive into the first slot, install DSM, and then shut down the NAS. Re-insert the original drives back in their original order starting from the second slot, and turn on the NAS again. The healthy spare drive does not need to be removed from the first slot. Refer to this tutorial to check the health of your original drives. If there are issues with the original drives, please back up the data on your original drives immediately via File Station.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2021-07-01 at 12.47.56.png
    Screen Shot 2021-07-01 at 12.47.56.png
    291.2 KB · Views: 83
The idea that I'm toying with seems to be what Synology is saying on their site unless I've read it wrong.
It expects to insert all the original drives + the spare drive remains in. You cant use this setup in your 2bay nas.

Is that for sure?
It is

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.