Storage Analyzer duplicates

Currently reading
Storage Analyzer duplicates

NAS
DS224+
Operating system
  1. Windows
Last edited:
I hope this is the right section to post this in.

I'm trying to use Storage Analyzer to delete duplicate photos after uploading to Synology Photos a huge collection from several devices and the folders on all those devices. As you'd expect with a huge life long collection, that resulted in tons of duplicates.

I know how to use and navigate Storage Analyzer to create a task and find the duplicates, regardless of file names, dates and then using MD5 comparison. That part works great.

I can then start going down the list of duplicates and hitting the delete icon next to the ones I want to delete individually, but with 100s of duplicates that can get very tedious. Where I'm running into a problem, and maybe I'm just missing something, is trying to delete multiple files at once.

I can check mark each duplicate I want to get rid of and then hit the delete icon for any of the one's I have check-marked and it says "do you want to delete the selected file(s)". If I proceed it only deletes the single file of the row I choose the delete icon on, not all the files that are check-marked. I can find no way to go about deleting "all" the files that I have check-marked.

Is this a bug, the feature not implemented or am I missing something? Is there no way to delete multiple files at once after check-marking the ones I want to get rid of?
-- post merged: --

After fighting with this problem for over an hour earlier and then making the above post, I went back to it and quickly found the solution. It was so simple that I feel like an idiot. You use the Action button at the top, the same one you do the MD5 comparison from. Delete is not available there "until" you select multiple files.

How are you using storage analyzer to delete the duplicates? I’m not seeing this in storage analyzer app.

SA001.png

SA002.png

SA003.png

SA004.png

SA005.png

Attachments

• SA001.png
    SA001.png
    37.7 KB · Views: 8
  • SA002.png
    SA002.png
    26.8 KB · Views: 7
  • SA003.png
    SA003.png
    30.4 KB · Views: 6
  • SA004.png
    SA004.png
    62.6 KB · Views: 7
  • SA005.png
    SA005.png
    73.1 KB · Views: 11
Interesting. I've obviously overlooked this capability.

My duplicates would mostly come from decades of photos being is multiple application libraries that I've imported to Photos. Even now I may transfer from my camera to iPhone or iPad to send to someone, then that gets backed up along with when I do a full export from camera to Mac.

I'm going to play with this and create a few reports with varying options to see what I can find out.

Last edited:
Let’s keep it on topic and avoid personal comments.

I have a number of ways to find duplicates but using Storage Analyzer was new for me. I’m still not brave enough to actually prune my duplicates. Though it’s nice to know where they might be.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.