Currently reading
Storage Pool change Question

NAS
DS920+
Operating system
  1. Linux
Mobile operating system
  1. Android
I have a DS920+ with 3 8tb drives, SHR, 1 storage pool, 1 volume (see attachment.)

What I would like instead is to change to RAID 5 with 2 volumes.

What are my options?

Thanks in advance.
Storage Pool.jpeg

Solution
SHR is RAID5 with 3 or more drives. You could create a 2nd volume by adding a 4th drive to the existing pool (don't add it to the existing volume), and then create a new second volume from the added pool capacity (7.3 TB approx).

Just curious... Why do you feel you need a second volume (that's not common)?
I was going to use the 2nd volume for VMs (I didn't plan ahead for this when created the storage pool.)
I started with one drive, and added the other 2 a couple of days ago (addition just finished a few mins ago.)
SHR is RAID5 with 3 or more drives. You could create a 2nd volume by adding a 4th drive to the existing pool (don't add it to the existing volume), and then create a new second volume from the added pool capacity (7.3 TB approx).

Upvote 0

I was going to use the 2nd volume for VMs (I didn't plan ahead for this when created the storage pool.)
I started with one drive, and added the other 2 a couple of days ago (addition just finished a few mins ago.)

Upvote 0
Solution
I was going to use the 2nd volume for VMs
I'm not sure what you gain with that. You could simply create a shared folder(s) for VMs.

Personally I avoid multiple volumes, as predetermining the optimal size for a volume is quite unlikely and, as it is not possible to shrink volumes, you are largely "stuck" with the guesses you made when you created each volume.

Bottom line... do what works best for you, but realize that volume resizing isn't easily done.

Upvote 0

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.