Currently reading
storage pool crash!!

NAS
Synology DS920+
Operating system
  1. Windows
Mobile operating system
  1. Android
Hey guys. We had an outage today and my ups took care of my system. I didn't know how long it was going to be, so I shut down everything including the nas. However, upon restarting the nas it says the storage pool is degraded. drive 1 (4tb) says," system partition fail and drive 2 (16tb) says, "crashed.) I ordered exact replacements for each and am wondering how you would suggest I proceed. Replace the 2 drives and let it rebuild or start over and restore from backup. TIA

Last edited:
I just noticed that it's SH1, I was going to do it that way any how to be cautious. Am waiting for the replacements to arrive. Should I shut it down for now as to prevent any more degradation? Am not sure disk 1 is bad or it's just cause drive 2 crashed!

Any order I should do it in. Was just informed drive 2 won't arrive till Thursday!

Attachments

• pool.JPG
    pool.JPG
    102.9 KB · Views: 124
Correct me if I am wrong? The system partition crashing should be a simple "repair" by dsm? not sure since you have a drive that has crashed, that one need replacement I would assume, but the system partition usually can fix itself in <10 mins (with no other errors). Has happened to me before during a relocate the box move, powered down fine, moved it, power on had the alert, clicked repair and it took about 1-2 mins and it was healthy again (YMMV). Just saying, hopefully it wont be a big problem for you.

I tried the Repair, but it wouldn't let me. Am going to wait until the 16tb comes in Wednesday and try then. I did put in a new drive in bay 1 but haven't tried to add it to the volume. Will put the original in 1 and the new 16tb in 2 and try rebuilding then. I also put in a tech request at Synology.

I'm starting to hate my Disk station. All the data is there and accessible, but it seems I can't repair or replace the drives. I replaced drive 1, (4tb) but can't add it to the volume. Synology told me to deactivate drive 2, "the crashed drive," it won't let me as it says it will lose the storage pool? This is totally fubar!

I literally just had a crash yesterday. Several said system partition corrupt and 1 crashed. I removed all drives, re-inserted them 1 by 1 in order, which solved the partition corrupt, still had 1 "crashed" (but healthy) I tried repair, it didn't work, so I deactivated that "crashed" drive and re-inserted it which then formatted that drive and it rebuild the raid, took overnight but did rebuild it.

Now, I am still having a minor issue with hyper backup on that unit but afaik it completed and worked. Ymmv.

I think I'm screwed either way I do it. Disk 1, (4tb) - Disk 2,(16tb). I need to put a new 16tb into drive 1 in order to rebuild the volume which leaves me the new 4tb which I can't put in slot 2 where the crash 16tb was as it's too small, unless it's not slot dependent, originally it was: 4tb-16tb-16tb-16tb.
-- post merged: --

OK, I'm sending it in. Tried everything everyone said and it's only getting worse. now drive 4 says system partition failure!!

I literally just had a crash yesterday. Several said system partition corrupt and 1 crashed. I removed all drives, re-inserted them 1 by 1 in order, which solved the partition corrupt, still had 1 "crashed" (but healthy) I tried repair, it didn't work, so I deactivated that "crashed" drive and re-inserted it which then formatted that drive and it rebuild the raid, took overnight but did rebuild it.

Now, I am still having a minor issue with hyper backup on that unit but afaik it completed and worked. Ymmv.
OK, I'm sending it in. Tried everything everyone said and it's only getting worse. now drive 4 says system partition failure!!

I think I'm screwed either way I do it. Disk 1, (4tb) - Disk 2,(16tb). I need to put a new 16tb into drive 1 in order to rebuild the volume which leaves me the new 4tb which I can't put in slot 2 where the crash 16tb was as it's too small, unless it's not slot dependent, originally it was: 4tb-16tb-16tb-16tb.

Why did you need to replace the 4TB in Drive 1 with a new 16TB to rebuild? I can understand replacing crashed Drive 2 (old 16TB) with a new 16 TB to rebuild, but don't follow why you need to replace Drive 1 at all - and even if you do, why not the old 4 TB in Drive 1 with a new 4 TB in Drive 1.

Anyway, another suggestion I have is - after you take out your drives, run some extended diagnostics on the drives synology says are bad just to double check. Given that you had a UPS fronting your NAS, I'd be very surprised if both (or even 1 tbh) of your drives had a hardware issue.

Once an array/pool is arranged, you can not add anything smaller than the largest drive already attached to that array/pool. You can use same size or go bigger if its an SHR pool, but not smaller. I learned that myself when I replaced 2 4tb with a 14tb's, in a 6 bay DS1621+ with 4 drives (so 4tb 4tb 14tb 14tb 0tb 0tb) then I tried to expand slot 5 with another 4tb and I couldn't... I did not know that recently myself. @synn and to go back to one of your other posts, I learned that here on this forum, never actually had to contact synology about anything because the community knowledge of synology's is so vast and experienced. (y)

Once an array/pool is arranged, you can not add anything smaller than the largest drive already attached to that array/pool. You can use same size or go bigger if its an SHR pool, but not smaller. I learned that myself when I replaced 2 4tb with a 14tb's, in a 6 bay DS1621+ with 4 drives (so 4tb 4tb 14tb 14tb 0tb 0tb) then I tried to expand slot 5 with another 4tb and I couldn't... I did not know that recently myself. @synn and to go back to one of your other posts, I learned that here on this forum, never actually had to contact synology about anything because the community knowledge of synology's is so vast and experienced. (y)
Yes I know what you're talking about. But in the situation here, he wasn't expanding his pool, just doing an in-place swap of a bad HDD with a good HDD so I figure he should be able to put in the same size.

Hey guys, thanks for the input. lesson learned. Synology sent me a replacement nas and am in the process of rebuilding. Only problem is that it's calling it volume 2. Tried a hard, "3 beep reset," but the data and volume remain. Re installed the apps and need to figure out how to recover the data on an external hyper backup drive. I can access using their management program, but it doesn't show up in hyper backup recover. Do I need to setup a backup first and won't that overwrite the old backup data? TIA

Hey guys, thanks for the input. lesson learned. Synology sent me a replacement nas and am in the process of rebuilding. Only problem is that it's calling it volume 2. Tried a hard, "3 beep reset," but the data and volume remain. Re installed the apps and need to figure out how to recover the data on an external hyper backup drive. I can access using their management program, but it doesn't show up in hyper backup recover. Do I need to setup a backup first and won't that overwrite the old backup data? TIA
Using HB recover wizard, you should have the option in one of the steps in the bottom left-hand corner that states "restore from existing repositories". This will allow you to connect to your restore source (in this case your USB) and take it from there.

Using HB recover wizard, you should have the option in one of the steps in the bottom left-hand corner that states "restore from existing repositories". This will allow you to connect to your restore source (in this case your USB) and take it from there.
It says that no versions are available to restore. But when I use the windows utility to explore it, I can see all of the files.

Ok. I found a roundabout way to do it. I opened USBSHARE and it shows the files. am slowly copying them over to the DS. Seems to be working. Will let you know in about a year when it finishes:rolleyes:

So you got a replacement nas from synology, to use your old drives? you were able to recover your pool?
So you nas had the issue, not the drives? I am a little lost. I know your moving to another chapter of this story, but if you could give me the details of how you got back to the rebuild with HB phase I would appreciate it.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.