Storage pool Degraded-Disk replacement

Currently reading
Storage pool Degraded-Disk replacement

NAS
DS 214+
I have 2 x 6 Tb in a Shr 1 setup, one drive failed (#2). I only have 0.5 Tb used. I could get by with a 3Tb setup. Can I replace the failed disk with a 3Tb?
If I go with another 6 Tb replacement I'm having trouble finding a drive on the compatibility list.i currently have WD60EFRX drives.
Thanks for any help.

Hello and welcome!

Unfortunately, you can't use smaller drives in SHR configuration than your current largest drive. You could backup your data, destroy the volume and start fresh with a mixed combination of smaller and larger drives, but that's about it.

Upvote 0
Thanks for the reply Rusty
If I choose to go with 2 new 3 Tb drives what is the best/easiest way to get the data out and in again?

Upvote 0
Thanks for the reply Rusty
If I choose to go with 2 new 3 Tb drives what is the best/easiest way to get the data out and in again?
You will need some way to export the data 1st. So an external UBS enclosure with a drive inside it. Then remove the 6tb drives, and replace them with 3tb. Set up the NAS, and restore back from the external drive.

You can use File Station app to copy data in both situations, or the Hyper Backup app as well to "backup" the data and then restore it again using the same tool.

Upvote 0

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.