Question Storage pool in crash and blocked after disk replacement. What to do?

Currently reading
Question Storage pool in crash and blocked after disk replacement. What to do?

NAS
DS216j
Hello,

a few days ago I replaced one of the DS216j disks as it had bad sectors. I used WD's RMA procedure.

After reinserting the new disk and restarting the NAS, I selected the repair storage pool command. After a few minutes an error occurred and the NAS asked to restart. After rebooting the volume is blocked and a crashed system partition message appeared.

I have 2 WD Red 4 TB disks, 1 volume in SHR.

I have already contacted Synology support but they are slow to respond. So what can I do to restore the NAS?

1.png

2.png
3.png
4.png
5.png

Do you still have access to your data? If you do back it up asap and you will have to reinstall DSM again.

My guess was that you initially started with 1 drive in your NAS and added the second one later or. Could be that DSM was installed only on one drive that failed now and as soon as you pulled it out it crashed. So again if you have a spare drive that you can use to backup your data, do it, then reinstall the OS using Syno Assistant as suggested on the message box.

I had done the backup with Hyperbackup of the NAS on an external USB disk before starting the RMA procedure.

I noticed that after restarting the NAS, the installed applications have disappeared, including Hyperbackup.

It seems strange that disk 1 is locked which is the working one. It had only 1 damaged sector. Instead disk 2 (the new one) is working.

How do I start Synology Assistant to reinstall the system?

I had done the backup with Hyperbackup of the NAS on an external USB disk before starting the RMA procedure.

I noticed that after restarting the NAS, the installed applications have disappeared, including Hyperbackup.

It seems strange that disk 1 is locked which is the working one. It had only 1 damaged sector. Instead disk 2 (the new one) is working.

How do I start Synology Assistant to reinstall the system?
Start it on your computer of choice and take it from there.

Last edited:
Hi @samuele I take that Synology Support still haven't responded to see if they can recover the situation with doing a restore from backup.

From the screenshots it looks that the new/replacement disk has not been added to the storage pool yet.

@Rusty does the DS216j support two storage pooIs? Is it possible to create a new storage pool and volume on the new disk and restore to it. Then re-initialise the original disk and add it to the new pool? Given you have the backup if it doesn't work.

Hi @samuele I take that Synology Support still haven't responded to see if they can recover the situation with doing a restore from backup.

From the screenshots it looks that the new/replacement disk has not been added to the storage pool yet.

@Rusty does the DS216j support two storage pooIs? Is it possible to create a new storage pool and volume on the new disk and restore to it. Then re-initialise the original disk and add it to the new pool? Given you have the backup if it doesn't work.
It does support. There is a way to make multiple volumes, but atm @samuele has a single volume on 2 drives. Adding a new disk inside and setting it up as a new volume will not be possible considering that both slots are, from a DSM perspective, "locked" into this volume.

One way this might work, would be to pull both drives out, setup a new dsm with a new disk and after that add a working disk from this current volume and hope that dsm will detect the volume under it for a possible restore. Considering there is a backup, guessing this would be worth a shot.

reinstall the OS using Syno Assistant as suggested on the message box

Is there a way to unlock the system? How do I reinstall DSM?
I don't know how to proceed.

In the Synology Assistant the status column indicates Ready and I don't see options to reinstall DSM.

I have the NAS blocked and assistance that does not respond to the open ticket :mad:

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.