Strange IP Address ... I think I have a problem...

Currently reading
Strange IP Address ... I think I have a problem...

NAS
DS718+, DS920+
Operating system
  1. Linux
  2. macOS
  3. Windows
Mobile operating system
  1. Android
So I was trying to get DS Video working on my Roku today and I discovered something strange ... my synology has an IP address that's nowhere in the IP address range I've set. My IP addresses on my local network start (unsurpisingly) with 192.x, but according to my router, my synology's IP address starts with 169.X. More interestingly, my router is telling me that "2 clients are connecting to [the router] through this device.

This indicates to me a problem, but I'm not skilled enough to understand what's happened and what to do. Your wisdom and advice are most welcomed.

I've done my level best to ensure that I've made my synology as secure as I could manage to do. This is not to say, however, that I've not missed something.

Solution
It's pretty standard... When you get a 169.254 address (APIPA) this means that your device is configured for DHCP yet it is not getting a DHCP supplied address. If you're not using LAN2, you will see this. If you look at you LAN2 setting, you will see if it is set for DHCP:

0BOrfWj.png
It's pretty standard... When you get a 169.254 address (APIPA) this means that your device is configured for DHCP yet it is not getting a DHCP supplied address. If you're not using LAN2, you will see this. If you look at you LAN2 setting, you will see if it is set for DHCP:

0BOrfWj.png

Upvote 0
Solution
Thank you. It's interesting, I've not seen this before. It's always had just the 192.x address in the past. But you folks know more than I do (for which I'm incredibly grateful). Thanks!

Upvote 0

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.