Question Stumped!!! - Docker Down in Portainer

NAS
DS214, DS918+
Operating system
  1. macOS
Mobile operating system
  1. iOS
Screen Shot 2020-08-08 at 11.03.14 PM.png

My Docker is NOT really down as it says in Portainer and the endpoint is configured.
I have removed Portainer and all containers/images and uninstalled/reinstalled Docker and Portainer.
Played with a bunch of stuff and can't seem to get this resolved.

Any help is appreciated.

Hi,
Had an issue that looks like the one you have right now.
It has been discussed on another topic.
Might be worth looking at the solution there if it does the trick for you.
You could have found this alos by using the research function on the forum.

View attachment 1921
My Docker is NOT really down as it says in Portainer and the endpoint is configured.
I have removed Portainer and all containers/images and uninstalled/reinstalled Docker and Portainer.
Played with a bunch of stuff and can't seem to get this resolved.

Any help is appreciated.
How did you start Portainer in the 1st place?

I have the same problem since today after I updated the Portainer docker container. I used the standard way - re-downloaded the image (choosed stable), stop container, clear, start container.
Now the Portainer displays a version 1.24.1, it also can see my docker, but says "Unable to connect to the Docker endpoint", when I click on it :(

Any advice how to get it work again? Thanks.

1596976449623.png

You can’t run Portainer via Docke UI in synology. You need to get it up and running via ssh

Yes, I installed it couple weeks ago via ssh and it was running as expected. But I also see my Portainer in Docker like all other containers, so when I opened it today and it said there is a new version of Portainer, I just did an update via Docker. Probably shouldn't do that, right?
What do you recommend to do now? completely deleta and install again from the scratch? Or is there easier way how to get it to work?

shouldn't do that, right
Correct. The problem is that Portainer needs docker.sock mapping, and you can't do it via UI. So each time you need to update portainer, just download the new image, nuke the previous container and make a new one with these mappings:

Screenshot 2020-08-09 at 14.57.32.png

Mapping towards /data will make sure that the new instance of Portainer will have all the data needed to get your "old" setup up and running.

That's it!

What I learned re: Portainer update, is to delete the container and recreate it using the same command line you used when you created the previous container. Doing that I had to re-create the Portainer logins I had used before.

Correct. The problem is that Portainer needs docker.sock mapping, and you can't do it via UI. So each time you need to update portainer, just download the new image, nuke the previous container and make a new one with these mappings:

View attachment 1927

Mapping towards /data will make sure that the new instance of Portainer will have all the data needed to get your "old" setup up and running.

That's it!

Thanks, Rusty! Did it in a minute or two. Portainer works again :)
Will remember for the next time.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.