Sub folder access

Currently reading
Sub folder access

NAS
DS918+
Operating system
  1. Windows
I looking for some clarification/help on sub folder access. I want to create a shared folder entitled 'clients'. Within that shared folder, I want to create multiple sub folders for clients. As an example; client1, client2, client3 & so on. When I create a user, client1; I only want the user to be able to access the sub folder; 'client1. When I attempt to set up the user permissions, it appears I can not restrict access to the sub folder level. Is there a way to circumvent this? I really don't want to create a high level shared folder as I want all the client information in one location.
Thanks for any help.

You can create a Shared Folder and assign your users to have Read access. What I have done is to create a group and add users to it, then assign the group with Read access.

In the Shared Folder you create folders per client, in your case, and ensure that the Shared Folder permissions are not inherited by the sub-folders and files. For each sub-folder
  • those with access can have Full Control
  • Everyone has Custom, with just this:
    • Inherit from: None
    • Type: Allow
    • Apply to: All
    • Administration: nothing enabled
    • Read:
      • Enable: Traverse folders/Execute files
      • Nothing else enabled
    • Write: nothing enabled
This should work. It's how I have setup a Shared Folder to allow users to archive stuff.

Upvote 0

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.