Currently reading
Super slow upload (10000 pictures)

NAS
220j
Operating system
  1. Windows
Mobile operating system
  1. Android
Hi, just bought a 200j, and when I now started uploading all my photos from my Samsung S20 Ultra, it takes 1 picture / 5 seconds, it's gonna take weeks to upload my photos to the NAS, any tips and tricks with this, also, I'm a complete beginnier when it comes to NAS'es, so please bear with me, and try to explain as if I was a 5 year old.

Last edited:
I'll just add a few more insights that need to be taken into consideration also:

1. DS220j (200j model is a typo) is an entry NAS model with CPU performance a few times under the mentioned Samsung smartphone. This is the first and the major bottleneck.

2. RAM of the DS220j is just 512MB! The second bottleneck for such massive copy, save, index, and thumbnails operation. Just a consideration - when you have 25x10ths photos = 250GB, your Samsung model must be min 512GB, so your smartphone RAM is about 16GB.

3. Size of the photos. According to Samsung spec, the max. photo size is up to 25MB/file. Then 25MB / 5 seconds = 5MBps or 40Mbps which is from the above facts mentioned excellent performance for such NAS (no sarcasm) and the operation mentioned.

Conclusion:
- you can’t upgrade the RAM on NAS
- you can’t speed up the process with faster drives in the NAS
because your NAS isn’t useful for such operation.

Btw: the cost of the NAS is about $170. Cost of the smartphone …
If you expect to use those photos in such quantities for purposes like Synology Photos, I recommend you buy a more powerful NAS and use this DS220j only for primary backup.
-- post merged: --

1 picture / 5 seconds, it's gonna take weeks to upload my photos to the NAS
Simple math:
25MB file size x 10 000 files = 250GB
25MB / 5 seconds = 5MB/sec or 40Mbps
250GB transfer and avg 40 Mbps = 13.89 hrs .... it is about half of the day too far from the weeks mentioned by OP
Easy during one night.

what is DSM7?
cRbbOML.png

:coffee:

Cheers guys for the answers, I guess I just bought a slow NAS then, but I guess it's allright, I'm more or less just gonna use it for saving pictures and videos, me and my wife got tired of having too many external hard drives and USB sticks etc. Once it's done with the upload I guess it's gonna be a bit better when it's backing up new photos daily instead of a massive backup like this.. Also, it's still uploading, only 113 files left right now ! So I guess it's slow and the guy at the shop is having a laugh 😂

I'll just add a few more insights that need to be taken into consideration also:

1. DS220j (200j model is a typo) is an entry NAS model with CPU performance a few times under the mentioned Samsung smartphone. This is the first and the major bottleneck.

2. RAM of the DS220j is just 512MB! The second bottleneck for such massive copy, save, index, and thumbnails operation. Just a consideration - when you have 25x10ths photos = 250GB, your Samsung model must be min 512GB, so your smartphone RAM is about 16GB.

3. Size of the photos. According to Samsung spec, the max. photo size is up to 25MB/file. Then 25MB / 5 seconds = 5MBps or 40Mbps which is from the above facts mentioned excellent performance for such NAS (no sarcasm) and the operation mentioned.

Conclusion:
- you can’t upgrade the RAM on NAS
- you can’t speed up the process with faster drives in the NAS
because your NAS isn’t useful for such operation.

Btw: the cost of the NAS is about $170. Cost of the smartphone …
If you expect to use those photos in such quantities for purposes like Synology Photos, I recommend you buy a more powerful NAS and use this DS220j only for primary backup.

Simple math:
25MB file size x 10 000 files = 250GB
25MB / 5 seconds = 5MB/sec or 40Mbps
250GB transfer and avg 40 Mbps = 13.89 hrs .... it is about half of the day too far from the weeks mentioned by OP
Easy during one night.
Really appreciate an informative and honest answer like this ! Thank you!

Hi,

Another NAS newbie with a 220J here.

Thanks for the info on the limitations of the J. That's good to know as I start to copy my 3 TB over to my NAS. FWIW, my needs are a simple backup so the J is going to be fine.

Why does the transfer rate fluctuate from < 1 MB/s to 100 MB/s? Why doesn't it stay at 40, or better, 100? Other than resource monitor, nothing else is running on my PC.

1655054929307.png

Thanks,
Howard

Probably because there is a lot of small files. Moving a large set of data (that consists of smaller number of large files) will be a lot faster then moving the same amount of data that has 100x more files that are small in size.

Also do take in consideration that you are running a J model device and depending on the packages and it’s utilization it might be working a bit too hard at times.

Thanks

There's a variety of file sizes from a few KB to 650 MB.

I've tried to reduce the packages (applications?) on my J since I don't think that I'll use them (no streaming, photos, music, etc.). I'd love to know the bare-bones list of what I should have on my J to use it just as a network backup.

Here's a snapshot of my J's resources. It doesn't look like things are working too hard, but then again I wouldn't know unless everything was pinned to 100%.
1655059468263.png

Well, it looks more than fine. I would say that the slowdown happens when a lot of smaller files are in transfer. Not really sure you can do anything about it.

Also, test your transfer (once this one is done), with a few large files (like 4GB+), and see the max speed you are getting. If the transfer holds and maintains speed, then you can be certain that the "problem" are smaller files.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.