Status
Not open for further replies.
NAS
DSM 1621+
Operating system
  1. Linux
Mobile operating system
  1. Android
It appears that historically DSM lacks support for serving host names from DHCP leases in DNS queries, with users requiring such functionality forced to rely on third-party backdoor solutions.

Is this limitation resolved in DSM 7? Will the same solutions work as before? What is the safest, simplest, and least intrusive solution?

I'm not sure whether it's helpful, or harmful, to post a follow-up, but it absolutely would helpful to have an understanding of the best way to include active DHCP leases in DNS queries, compatible with DSM 7. This use case is common, and increasingly so, as small devices running services gain greater prominence.

You could try running virtual DSM 7 on your DS1621+ as it seems no-one has yet tried it.
Perhaps I should explain that I already am running the pre-release version of DSM 7 on a device. Do you have advice for a preferred method to achieve the functionality regarding integration of DNS and DHCP?

I inferred from your original post that you didn’t have access to DSM 7 beta/RC and so couldn’t investigate.

Given you received no feedback but have a NAS capable of running VMM, I suggested you could run DSM 7 yourself. The point to check out the situation yourself as it seems your are most familiar with this.

The point to check out the situation yourself as it seems your are most familiar with this.
As it seems the intended usage in not supported directly by the system, the purpose of my current inquiry is to seek a suggestion for a viable resolution, perhaps from someone who has a more comprehensive understanding than do I of how the parts in DSM are integrated with each other.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to SynoForum.com!

SynoForum.com is an unofficial Synology forum for NAS owners and enthusiasts.

Registration is free, easy and fast!

Trending threads

Back