Currently reading
Surveillance Station Continuous Recording Issue

NAS
DS-218J
Operating system
  1. Windows
Mobile operating system
  1. Android
I have recently setup two Wansview W6 outdoor cameras to SS and they both seem to be working fine however I have set them up for continuous recording and truncating every 30 mins. Every day I have a handful of 30 min recordings where it seems to be working as expected but there are huge chunks in the day where it does not and it seems like it is actually recording as if it triggers on motion detection so I have lots of 5 second videos.

There is plenty of space on the HDD over 3TB and I have setup quotas for each camera up to 200GB each.

Even though I have the recording settings for each camera set to "Continuous" recording in the recording schedule, it stops at random times and continues randomly leaving out big chunks of time during the day unrecorded.

Is there anything else that could be causing this issue?

The latest version of Surveillance Station is installed.

Thank you in advance for any assistance with this.

Last edited:
Hi,

Are the cameras connected wirelessly?
What’s your recording resolution settings for the streams?
Did you check the SS log to see if the cameras are dropping or for any other messages that might indicate what's going on?

Edit:
Check this calculator to estimate required storage space too:

Upvote 0
Hi,

Are the cameras connected wirelessly?
What’s your recording resolution settings for the streams?
Did you check the SS log to see if the cameras are dropping or for any other messages that might indicate what's going on?

Edit:
Check this calculator to estimate required storage space too:

The cameras are connected wirelessly and the router/NAS is situated right next to the camera separated by a concrete wall and some windows. I'd say no more than a metre apart. I wouldn't have thought this would affect the quality of the connection much however looking at the logs. I can see that it disconnects regularly throughout the day but only for a few seconds before it re-establishes a connection which doesn't line up with the hours of footage it's missing.

The recording resolution is 1920x1080 at 30 FPS and I have left pretty much everything else as default so it is using a 'Balanced' recording method and H.264 codec.

Thank you for the suggestions. I will look at increasing the quotas and trial run an ethernet cable to one of the cameras to see if that changes anything, I will report back with the results.

Upvote 0
The cable was my next suggestion. Good that you're going to try it.

What's the DiskStation utilization like with both camera's running on the 218j?
If your cameras support H.265, try it. Less storage and network utilization.
Do you know whether you can or can’t delegate the motion detection to the cameras? In my case (using Hikvision), I got much better (and more advanced) detection by using the camera's algorithm with less demand on the DiskStation.

Upvote 0

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.