Swap single drive from 212j to 118 - disk space issue

Currently reading
Swap single drive from 212j to 118 - disk space issue

NAS
Dd118
Hi,
I swapped the single 2TB drive in my ds212j into a new ds118 - I had already backed up the 840GB data first from it on to my PC.

So I turn it on, the app asks me to format the 2TB drive which I do.

Then I copy the 840GB of data back onto the 2TB drive.

Now I get a notification that the 2TB drive has only 236GB of space left.

Could the the original partition from the DS212j still be on the 2TB drive, and if so how do I get the space back?

Solution
Versioning turned on in drive server seems to be my issue. My free disk space is going up since I followed this instruction on another forum...

3. I do not need version control, so I disable it. The system then took about an hour to free up all the space used to store the various versions.

What I did: Go to Package Centre -> Synology Drive Server -> Open, this brings you to Drive admin console.
Synology Drive Admin Console -> Team Folder -> My Drive -> Versioning -> uncheck "Enable version control" -> OK

Hope the above helps, cheers!
Guessing the volume atm is BTRFS, vs EXT4 on 212j. There is a certain overhead that it claims but not that much that you would miss close to 800GB space.

The 2TB drive has a raw space of about 1,8TB after it has been formated and ready to use. With your data copied over you should have close to 1TB free space.

Can you share your pool and volume state in a form of a screenshot?

Upvote 0
Here's the screenshot. It's now 99% full this morning!
IMG_20220803_103102.jpg

Upvote 0
Versioning turned on in drive server seems to be my issue. My free disk space is going up since I followed this instruction on another forum...

3. I do not need version control, so I disable it. The system then took about an hour to free up all the space used to store the various versions.

What I did: Go to Package Centre -> Synology Drive Server -> Open, this brings you to Drive admin console.
Synology Drive Admin Console -> Team Folder -> My Drive -> Versioning -> uncheck "Enable version control" -> OK

Hope the above helps, cheers!

Upvote 0
Solution

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.