Currently reading
Swapping A Hard Drive

NAS
DS218+
Operating system
  1. Windows
Mobile operating system
  1. iOS
I am new to NAS. I purchased a new DS218+ and added two 6GB Seagate NAS hard drives. I was wonder if it's good practice to get another 6GB hard drive and swap that out with one of my current 6GB hard drives so as to create a spare? Then I could rotate the drives say Bi-Weekly or Monthly. Is that good practice? Is that something people do?

Don't do that. You will degrade your volume each time (if it's in SHR configuration) and putting the drive back in will only initiate the rebuild of your raid.

Connect that extra drive to the NAS and use Hyper Backup tool to backup data on it. You can then take it away and connect back again when you need to.

Hi Rusty,
A million thanks for getting back to me. I am glad I asked. I will not swap out the drive. I already have 4 copies of what on my NAS on external drives. I was just thinking of a way to have yet more copies. No problem. I will do as you say and learn and use Hyper Back tool to backup my data to at least one external drive.

Thanks Again.

Last edited:
Hoping you mean TB and not GB. Either way no need to do what you propose.

I have a 40MB drive from an NEC Versa. I've only kept it so I can wipe it, but I can't seem to connect it to my SATA/IDE ports. If I wasn't so curious as to what is on it, I'd probably just toss it in a bucket of acid to wipe the platters (or lye... not sure which is most corrosive on platters, lol).

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.