Ds918+, DS718
Router
  1. RT2600ac
Operating system
  1. Windows
Mobile operating system
  1. Android
Hello,
I have installed Synology Directory server but it isn't longer needed so i want to switch to LDAP
Is that possible without losing data?

The biggest problem is mailplus i think.
Is it possible to keep my emails?

Hello,
I have installed Synology Directory server but it isn't longer needed so i want to switch to LDAP
Is that possible without losing data?

So to understand: You have installed Synology Directory server package, setup a new AD domain, configured user(s) and set up mailboxes attached to those AD users?

Why would you then want to 'downgrade' to the LDAP package? You would kinda have to 'destroy' your domain.

The biggest problem is mailplus i think.
Is it possible to keep my emails?

I want to switch from LDAP to Synology Directory server one day when DSM 7 comes out, as Synology AD should also be upgraded with the possiblilty to setup multiple DC's (which isn't possible right now). So I'm also wondering how to re-attach mailboxes from LDAP users to AD users, like Microsoft Exchange can.

But one thing I would do for sure before I do anything: BACKUP, BACKUP & BACKUP!!
Perhaps even store a copy temporary in a PST file.

Yes you understand correct. The main reason is i have sometimes trouble with login to one of the services like mail calendar etc.
If i login sometimes the user name and password are not correct thats the message i get.

When i login with the admin account i see there are no AD users.
Only thing i can do is restart the NAS.

Maybe it is a DNS problem, i don't know. I don't have the knowledge of DNS server.

And a other reason is there are more apps that support LDAP then AD*

* correct my if i have wrong.

I'm now testing with a other NAS.
After that i wanna check if i can get all mail on that NAS and then switch to LDAP

I migrated Mail Server [not MailPlus] from using local DSM users to LDAP Server users. Mail Server stores each user's mail data in their DSM home folder (.Maildir) and I moved each user mail folder to their new LDAP home: see here Tutorial - Moving Mail Server user mail files

I don't know how MailPlus is managing user mail data but it may be similar, once you find where it's putting this info. I recall testing MailPlus and is created a shared folder for itself but don't recall what it does for mail data.

For LDAP you still have to have a domain that it will use. When setting up my old Mac Mini server it needed DNS configured right and then LDAP: it was a real pain to try and change the domain afterwards so using your own domain rather than a DDNS was a lesson I learnt.

Mailplus use maps with numbers and has a db man (I think database) I have tried to set those maps to the LDAP mail map but that doesn't work.

I found your post about the mail server (it's in the mail plus section) and found out is was the other mail server.

When I switcht from local user to AD user mailplus server asked to migrate my mails.
I don't know where they are now.
But switching from AD to LDAP mailplus didn't ask.

I will now try to migrate my mail from one NAS to my other NAS.

And maybe I send a message to support.

I found your post about the mail server (it's in the mail plus section) and found out is was the other mail server.
Interesting. I just checked and don't see where it could be in a MailPlus section.

It was just a suggestion anyway. Different IMAP servers manage mail in different ways. And managing your own mail server is quite onerous and thankless from the users.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.