Question Switch type for IP cameras with Surveillance Station

Currently reading
Question Switch type for IP cameras with Surveillance Station

Operating system
  1. Windows
Mobile operating system
  1. Android
Hello,
I'm going to be installing 5 cameras around my home to use with Surveillance Station but am unsure what type of PoE switch to get. From the attachment this is how I would like it set up. Would a regular PoE switch work for the IP cameras without having bandwidth issues or do I need a managed PoE switch?

Attachments

• Network.jpg
    Network.jpg
    52.1 KB · Views: 58
First:
be aware, that there is many PoE standards in usage (evolution). You can find in this forum lot od descriptions or guides between them. Use advanced search for “PoE” keyword

Then you need decide, what cameras you will use:
- budget
- features
- PoE standard

For me Ubiquiti network appliances are favourite No 1. They have reasonable wide range of switches. All you can manage by Dockerized Ubiquiti Unifi controller. Also you can find here lot of guides.

Independent VLAN for Surveillance network is recommended. Then, when you don’t have appropriate router, you can manage it by NAS (need to know what kind of) or by Ubiquiti router.

Also, with Ubiquiti, there are several product lines of network gear. Look for Unifi switch’s to work with the Unifi controller. Hint... they are white.

I have (4) Amcrest 4K turret PoE and (1) PTZ PoE. They are 802.3af and draw <6W for the 4K and <7W for the PTZ.
I was looking at the USW-16-POE Gen2 switch to start and later on replace my regular router with the USG‑PRO‑4 and add a AP in the house.

Going a little off topic but would I also need the Cloud Key? I really don't know what this does exactly. Does it just tie all your components together so they are easier to manage? Is it necessary for home use?
I still would like to use the Synology 918+ Surveillance Station with all this equipment.

I have (4) Amcrest 4K turret PoE and (1) PTZ PoE. They are 802.3af and draw <6W for the 4K and <7W for the PTZ.
I was looking at the USW-16-POE Gen2 switch to start and later on replace my regular router with the USG‑PRO‑4 and add a AP in the house.

Going a little off topic but would I also need the Cloud Key? I really don't know what this does exactly. Does it just tie all your components together so they are easier to manage? Is it necessary for home use?
I still would like to use the Synology 918+ Surveillance Station with all this equipment.
good choice,
re Unifi Cloud Key - from lowest possible point of view, it’s just another computer in your network, what has one and only feature - Unifi controller running.
But when you have NAS, you can use such feature in your NAS by Docker. Use Search in this forum for more information, or switch your question to new thread here

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.