Currently reading
Sync between internal hard drive and NAS

NAS
DS218play
Operating system
  1. Windows
Mobile operating system
  1. Android
So, I would like to sync some folders of my internal hard drive with my DS218play. Since synology does not propose this (to my surprise), I found ViceVersa Software: File Synchronization, File Replication, Windows Backup Software which works like a charm but only in the direction internal HD -> NAS. In the other way around no changes are detected. I contacted their support who informed me it's probably because the NAS does not declare file changes to my OS (WIndows 10).

Have you find yourself in the same situation or tried to achieve the same thing? How did you sort it out?

Why does everybody want to sync nowadays?
Technologically is complex, and the final result mostly inferior.

Why not just move all data to the nas? just map the folder and you are done. No sync needed, just a backup from the nas to another device. If uptime is important, create redundancy on the nas.

Good argument, however:
1- It's an additional copy/security in case of disaster.
2- I did not invest in a 4 TB internal disk for nothing.
3- Syno does not allow to sync specific folders, which is really disapointing.

So, I would like to sync some folders of my internal hard drive with my DS218play. Since synology does not propose this (to my surprise), I found ViceVersa Software: File Synchronization, File Replication, Windows Backup Software which works like a charm but only in the direction internal HD -> NAS. In the other way around no changes are detected. I contacted their support who informed me it's probably because the NAS does not declare file changes to my OS (WIndows 10).

Have you find yourself in the same situation or tried to achieve the same thing? How did you sort it out?

@Rusty is that an app you have used yourself?

It does look pretty nifty if it is as robust as the website suggests.
I had it running for test inside docker and on a windows VM just for test.

Works just fine but I have no need for it so not using it as a regular app/platform.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.