Currently reading
Syncing one DSM to another using Drive

NAS
DS920+, DS416slim
Operating system
  1. Windows
Mobile operating system
  1. Android
I am trying to backup/synchronise one NAS to another - a DS920+ to a DS416slim.

The 920+ is my main device onsite, and the 416 is offsite. The way I want it to work is quite simple - for the 416 to replicate the file/folder strucure of one particular shared folder on the 920. I'm not bothered with versioning etc on the 416. The 416 currently has an old "version" of the folder I want to back up and around 500GB has been added to the current "version" of the folder on the 920.

I installed Drive on both devices and set the shared folder as the team folder (or whatever it is called). To test it worked, I created a new subfolder, with six files totally 28GB inside it, and told drive to only sync this folder. All other folders were unticked.

There was around 2TB of free space on the 416 when I set this up around a week ago. I actually paused the sync as I was trying to work out how to schedule the syncing, which I couldn't do, but that's another problem.

I logged into the 416 today and noticed that there was no free space on it at all. I checked the folders and everything I could see implied that there should still be 2TB free but the Storage widget was showing nothing. I spent ages emptying recycle bins, deleting old users etc in order to see if there was a huge folder somewhere hidden but nothing worked. Storage analyzer showed 3.3TB used but that left 2.1TB completely unaccounted for.

I then decided to uninstall Drive to see if that was the problem. For some reason it is the problem. THe uninstall has just finished and the 2TB of missing space is back.

SO: I don't understand why Drive sync would a) be taking up such a huge amount of space, and b) why I can't "see" that anywhere.

It is probably important to note that the folder I want to sync is around 4TB in size however I only asked Drive to consider one subfolder.

Can anyone shed any light on why this is happening?

Also - does anyone have advice on how I should back up/sync these two folders? I have a static IP on the 920 but that can't be done on the 416.

I've never used it but it sounds that you are using Synology Drive ShareSync, part of the Drive installation, to maintain the selected Team folder in sync between the two NAS. Also that you've set the versioning to off on Team folder that's on the DS416slim.

Usually when versioning is enabled you'll have a Drive database that tracks the changes. When using Ext4 file system this database can get quite (very) large but it's smaller when using Btrfs. I'm not sure if there can be different version setting on the synced Team folders, or not. But it sounds that there is something eating the storage.

An alternative could be to use Hyper Backup (can it use QC? may be not) to maintain a clone on the remote NAS, but this requires to use rsync for a single-version clone. Otherwise you could try Hyper Backup Vault on the remote NAS and set the versions to 1.

here is the explanation what is exactly eating your storage capacity when Drive is used:

Include Synology answer to my support request- as usual “zero” help.

Thank you for the suggestion guys

I decided that it would be a good idea to VPN from the destination (416) to the source (920) and then use Shared Folder Sync as this seems like the most straightforward option (when I am unable to set a static / web address).

I have managed to get the VPN done successfully and it is showing as connected in both destination, and source VPN package

The new issue I have is how to get the source to see the destination. The VPN sticks clients on a subnet 192.168.5.x. (as opposed to the main network 192.168.1.x) and inputting either \\192.168.5.x or \\destinationname into the "server name or IP address" in Shared Folder sync is unsuccessful.

Does anyone have any ideas what to do? And is there any issue with attempting it in this way?

@jeyare - I wish I had done that before uninstalling it!!

----- woohoo! Managed to get it to connect. It just needed a straightforward IP address with no \\ or \folder or anything.

I am surprised though that it didn't ask me to specify which folder in the destination to sync with. There is a shared folder on the destination with the same name, will it automatically sync with that?

There is a shared folder on the destination with the same name, will it automatically sync with that?
Never been that brave enough to try it. For complete peace of mind what I'd do: test the theory...
  1. Create same named shared folders on each NAS.
  2. Add different selections of files and subfolders to each of the new shared folders.
  3. Do a sync and see what happens.

Last edited:
Never been that brave enough to try it. For complete peace of mind what I'd do: test the theory...
  1. Create same named shared folders on each NAS.
  2. Add different selections of files and subfolders to each of the new shared folders.
  3. Do a sync and see what happens.

I thought about doing that, but then thought, if you don't have the option to select the (shared) folder to sync with, it must do it in that way.

in the eventuality that it creates a folder "share (1)" or similar i can just move the files from "share" to "share (1)" and move on...

or so goes the the theory 🥵

---------------

small update one: on the initial sync, if Shared Folder Sync sees that a folder with the same name on the destination as the source already exists, it will rename the folder on the destination to "whatever_1" and then recreate the folder "whatever"

Therefore it will fail if for some reason it cannot rename the folder, eg it is a default media folder (i think this is the reason my "video" folder could not be renamed, maybe because it's been mounted, currently trying to work it out)

OK I have finally managed to get the two folders syncing (I think), following these very helpful instructions: Synology NAS Shared Folder Resync To Another NAS Without Full Syncing And Without Losing Data. – COMM Online

The only issue I have now is that the transfer speed is too high - the backup NAS is offsite and I don't want to eat up their bandwidth.

I have tried to setup a speed limit schedule for rsync on the source but this isn't working. The way I have tried is by limiting the up/down for the user that is connecting the two NASs - however that isn'working because I think the user that actually performs the sync is some hidden Synology user.

SO: Does anyone know how to set a speed schedule for Shared Folder Sync?

Have you tried Traffic Control in Control Panel / Network on the source NAS? Remembering that bandwidth is specified in KBps, so if you want to limit the bandwidth to 1Mbps you would enter 128KBps ('x1024' to get Kbps, then '/ 8' to convert bits to bytes).

If you have a similar feature on your router then it would be better done there as that would limit only connections to the Internet, leaving LAN connections able to run at full speed.

Have you tried Traffic Control in Control Panel / Network on the source NAS? Remembering that bandwidth is specified in KBps, so if you want to limit the bandwidth to 1Mbps you would enter 128KBps ('x1024' to get Kbps, then '/ 8' to convert bits to bytes).

That would be ideal but there is no scheduling available.

If you have a similar feature on your router then it would be better done there as that would limit only connections to the Internet, leaving LAN connections able to run at full speed.

My router can't do this - and in any case the way that I have got the two NAS to see each other is by VPNing from the offsite into the onsite....

So infuriating!! My Dad has a QNAP and said it is remarkably simple to do on their software. Damnit!

Last edited:
I now have an issue whereby the speed is capped at 100 KB/s (seems to be imposed destination-side) and I can't for the life of me work out where this limit is coming from. For the sake of troubleshooting I have disabled all speed limits and caps on both sides. It's an rsync limit showing in Resource Monitor - Speed Limit... *tears hair out*
-- post merged: --

*tears hair out*

FWIW I have a shaved head, so even this is causing me issues.

I now have an issue whereby the speed is capped at 100 KB/s (seems to be imposed destination-side) and I can't for the life of me work out where this limit is coming from. For the sake of troubleshooting I have disabled all speed limits and caps on both sides. It's an rsync limit showing in Resource Monitor - Speed Limit... *tears hair out*

The remote NAS just had to be restarted. Turns out user rsync speed limits are not updated dynamically.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.