Syncing question

Currently reading
Syncing question

NAS
DS216+
Hi I'm very new to synology and wondered if this set up is possible?

We are a team of three people all working from home, we each have a Synology, 1 is running Drive Admin as the host, the other 2 are syncing to that. This is working well.
If we also wanted to sync to a USB drive, but to our local synology not the host across the internet, could we install Drive Admin on the other 2 synology's and use them as the host for the USB, would this lead to conflicts / errors?

As far as I can see in my setup, Drive Admin and Drive ShareSync (I'm using Drive 2.0 Beta) both are limited to work with shared folders that are on internal volumes. I cannot see my any of my USB and eSATA shared folders in the lists of Team Folders or Local Sync Folders. Maybe it's because they could be ejected while in use and cause problems.

As such, I don't think Drive/ShareSync supports external devices.

@fredbert - welcome in Drive beta :), yes - there is no way for an USB drive.
This feature will maybe discovered in future betas.
@kevinneal - Do you need the local Drive sync to the USB drive for a backup reason?
For the backup, use Hyper Backup package.

It was for a couple of reasons, one, working off a usb 3 drive is faster than the network, and two, if we go out on location we would have fast access to all files that could sync back to the local synology when we get back home

I have tried it and it does seem to work to the USB drive, but I'm just a bit concerned that its a complicated setup which risks the data. I have USB drive plugged into laptop this is syncing to local synology over wifi, local synology is then syncing back to the host synology across the internet.

It actually worked as expected, but I've stopped the USB sync for now until I can find out if its safe or not

I think in my original post, I made it sound like I had the USB drive attached to the Synology, but I've installed Drive on the laptop and am syncing from the local Synology to the USB attached to the laptop

could we install Drive Admin on the other 2 synology's and use them as the host for the USB
I made it sound like I had the USB drive attached to the Synology, but I've installed Drive on the laptop and am syncing from the local Synology to the USB attached to the laptop
Yes, That's how I read it "Synology's hosting the USB". Using a USB drive on the PC and having the Drive task using it for local sync should be possible. I don't use the default Mac destination when I create tasks.

However, you probably should pause Drive sync on the PC/Mac before ejecting the USB drive. Also, accidental eject could happen and then cause a problem.

It might be worth creating a test task with a test folder on the NAS, then check the robustness of the sync and consistency of data.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.