DSM 6.2 SyncThing installation fails on DSM 6.2.4-25556 due to port 8384 being used

Currently reading
DSM 6.2 SyncThing installation fails on DSM 6.2.4-25556 due to port 8384 being used

NAS
DS1817+
Operating system
  1. Linux
  2. macOS
Mobile operating system
  1. iOS
Hi all,

I had synthing happily running for a long time on the system installed by the Package Center. I decided to update it to the latest version.

Installation failed and asked me to reinstall.

When I try to install, port 8384 (ui port for syncthing) is said to be used.

1624359749_Erkrp.jpg

As fas as I can see nothing is using this port. I've done the following:

1. Made sure no other application is defined in docker or Application Portal to use same port
  2. netstat -tulpn | grep 8384 returns nothing
Any suggestions?

Docker
I've halted all docker containers to confirm but sadly still same error.

Note: all of my containers are configured using docker compose and were running along side with syncthing for years with no issue previously.

Other packages
I don't have any other packages that use that port as far as i know.

What if I delete previous folders generated by sync daemon? Would you know where I could find them?

Similar happened to me when stopping and restarting OpenVPN service in VPN Server. Have no memory how it fixed itself but likely was the reboot suggested by @Rusty, or a couple of reboots. Long time ago now.

Can't see why it would be involved but anything that might 'know' about port 8384 could be toggled off/on, e.g.firewall rules and reverse proxy. A shot in the dark.

What if I delete previous folders generated by sync daemon? Would you know where I could find them?
Sorry, personally I haven't used the platform so not familiar with any troubleshooting regarding it. I would say that deleting it would not solve the problem, as the NAS is picking up that the port is in use, so not sure how deleting previous folders would help, but then again it might.

Have you confirmed that nothing regarding that tool is running via htop (over ssh)?

Try this... Uninstall Syncthing. SSH in and look for something like

cd /volume*/@appstore/Syncthing

Then

mv cd /volume*/@appstore/Syncthing /volume*/@appstore/Syncthing.SAVE

Exit SSH, restart the NAS and attempt to reinstall Syncthing.

ALSO >>> if Synthing creates an app specific user... remove that user (or rename) before installing.

Try this... Uninstall Syncthing. SSH in and look for something like

cd /volume*/@appstore/Syncthing

Then

mv cd /volume*/@appstore/Syncthing /volume*/@appstore/Syncthing.SAVE

Exit SSH, restart the NAS and attempt to reinstall Syncthing.

ALSO >>> if Synthing creates an app specific user... remove that user (or rename) before installing.

Done the above. Rebooted. When trying to install I get the same port clash error. :(

Last edited:
Have you tried loading NASIP:8384 in a browser URL? Would that give a clue to the issue?

http://192.168.1.123:8384

Thought... You have DS1817+... Why not use Docker?

Last edited:
Have you tried loading NASIP:8384 in a browser URL? Would that give a clue to the issue?
Yep, tried and got "connection refused". Tried to using httpie and got the following via cli

http: error: ConnectionError: HTTPSConnectionPool(host='10.0.0.254', port=8384): Max retries exceeded with url: / (Caused by NewConnectionError('<urllib3.connection.VerifiedHTTPSConnection object at 0x10a048290>: Failed to establish a new connection: [Errno 61] Connection refused',)) while doing GET request to URL: https://10.0.0.254:8384/

Thought... You have DS1817+... Why not use Docker?

I had it working as an app so didn't bother to switch to docker. But now I'm confident with docker and will set it up when I have more time.

Looks like the port 8384 is somehow locked by Synology. When I try to create a simple container using port 8384, it fails as it's being used. Soo frustrating...

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.