1. RT1900ac
  2. RT2600ac
  3. MR2200ac
Operating system
  1. macOS
Mobile operating system
  1. iOS
Rusty submitted a new resource:

Syno 101 - A short series that will help you get into syno world of things.

View attachment 3127

This series will focus on helping out 1st time Synology users that are willing to dive into the NAS universe and not sure how to and what to do 1st.

The series is divided into 5 sections with one intro topic.

View attachment 3128
From powering on your NAS all the way to DSM OS install and...

Read more about this resource...

Re: DSM INSTALLATION & RAID ARRAY type

Often times new users unwittingly end up with SHR when setting up a new NAS. Can you show how to start from new drives and go directly to alternative (non-SHR) pools/volumes... and also where one makes the choice to select ext4/btrfs?

In my experience, you are forced into SHR and then must delete the pool and begin again using Storage Manager.

Can you show how to start from new drives and go directly to alternative (non-SHR) pools/volumes
Tnx for the suggestion. I guess that might be something worth mentioning but still, I also agree with @Robbie comment. For a new user, or someone not familiar with what RAID is, SHR would be a good choice. SHR is not accessible to some RS models, but then again, people getting RS models are not really "101" type of customers.

wouldn't a new user be better served with SHR
I see many posts from new users in the "Community" who began with a one-disk pool, and then later, added a second disk expecting to see additive capacity, only to discover that they were trapped in SHR. Then there is a phalanx of believers who desire RAID1/5 over SHR (intermediate level users, or users who have succumbed to SHR performance/stability fears).

Even I missed the turn recently when I rebuilt a new pool intended as RAID0, only to realize that Synology wanted me to have an SHR pool. Grrrrr....

It's hard to second-guess what mistakes can or will be made with new users. I've no idea what my next mistake will be either!

SHR does not really trap new users into an array as you can still run independent disks with SHR when you add another drive - something I do on one of my NASes:

Screenshot 2021-02-23 at 19.46.12.png

SHR does not really trap new users into an array as you can still run independent disks with SHR when you add another drive
Yes... You have separate pools... which is not how Synology defaults. Often users want what you have, or they want what JBOD offers, but find their added disk in SHR Pool1... which is the point of my comments.

It was just a suggestion, not a debate topic. Ignore if you like :cool:

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.