Solved Syno Drive 2 reports "missing local folder or insufficient privileges" for mounted NTFS Win 10 share

Currently reading
Solved Syno Drive 2 reports "missing local folder or insufficient privileges" for mounted NTFS Win 10 share

NAS
ds1511+, wd red 3TB RAID1, 3GB ram. DS 940+,wd red 3TB RAID1, 12GB ram
Last edited:
Suspect installing Drive in Win 10 has corrupted NTFS shared partiion to Ubuntu access. Read on.

I've two OS's running alternately on same machine. I boot one or the other at a time. They only share data on an NTFS partition of SSD drive. There's only that one drive in the machine.

I'll name them X & W.
X is Ubuntu 18.04, 64 bit with drive sync'd folders on NTFS partition of Samsung SSD drive.
W is Windows 10 1909, 64 bit syncing to SAME folders as X on NTFS partition.

Using Drive client 2.0.1-11061 on both.

Drive seems fine on W machine.
Drive reports "missing local folder or insufficient privileges" in red text under sync'd folders in Drive Applet.
X can't access the problem folders on the shared NTFS partition anymore in its file manager. Used to work just fine.

WAS WORKING FINE on X before I installed Drive client on W machine.

Important:
There are folders on the shared NTFS partition, both OS can still access, use and sync. Only some of the folders have become a problem on X.
I suspect the Windows OS did something to permissions to break Ubuntu access to SOME of the mounted folders.

Windows fast startup and hibernate are both turned off. I have booted from power off and no change to problem.

Any one encountered and solved this? thoughts?
Thanks much!

Just to clarify:
  1. You have a dual boot (Win 10 and Ubuntu) machine
  2. There's a NTFS partition on a local SSD with the machine and is accessible (used for no OS data?) when booting from Win 10 and Ubuntu.
  3. You have installed Syno Drive v2 clients in both client OS.
  4. Some of the local NTFS folders and/or files are now unavailable when the local OS is Ubuntu.

Does the NTFS partition participate as destinations for Syno Drive tasks in either local OS?
Do the same destinations on the NTFS partition participate in Syno Drive tasks for both OS?
What OS permission differences are there between folders/files that are still working and no longer working?
Is there any difference in between folders/files that are sync'ing to NAS home and NAS team folders?

BTW I've no idea as I don't dual boot, and running Mac too.

Thank you for helping clarify the situation.
The answer is yes to your four itemized questions.

Does the NTFS partition participate as destinations for Syno Drive tasks in either local OS?
Yes
Do the same destinations on the NTFS partition participate in Syno Drive tasks for both OS?
Yes
What OS permission differences are there between folders/files that are still working and no longer working?

I would really like to know the answer to this.
My related questions include what apps to use to check this in both OS's, what account(s) is(are) relevant and what are the governing permissions?

Is there any difference in between folders/files that are sync'ing to NAS home and NAS team folders?
Same three team folders on nas to same named three folders on the shared drive. E.g., both os use the identical folder names.
When I added a folder on the shared NTFS partition under ubuntu and sync'd a forth team folder there, the Ubuntu folder failed like the others. It went from being available to Ubuntu to not.

The working for months Ubuntu setup (was first) broke when I installed Syno drive under windows.
Thanks for helping!

When you say it's unavailable to Ubuntu do you mean:
  1. Ubuntu OS cannot access the NTFS folder at all.
  2. Syno Drive client on Ubuntu cannot sync (sync to) the NTFS folder.
If the latter then it could be a Syno Drive issue that detects it is syncing twice to the same folder ... such as there's a hidden file/folder on the NTFS disk that is a common location for Syno Drive not matter which account/install of the client is being used. Or there could be other info that is saved on the NAS, such as you device's MAC address. Try using different LAN/WLAN connections for the two OS's and see if MAC address is distinguishing the devices in Syno records.

How can it be both? If Ubuntu cannot access the NTFS folder then how can it be selected for Syno Drive?

Are the folders invisible to Ubuntu or visible? If visible but your access is blocked then it suggests a permissions issue. From the command line you can change these using chmod, but may need to use sudo to gain the right level of permission.

Remember Unbuntu worked fine so Syno drive WAS connected. Post Windows use of Syno drive the NTFS shares became unavailable to ubuntu. I wish I could see all permissions on the NTFS and fix for Ubuntu.

I suspect that Synology Drive on Windows 10 1909 screwed up the permissions or other secret flags on the NTFS folders shared (on D:) with the Ubuntu 18.04. On the Windows (W) machine contents of the folders are accessible, but often can't be copied. They throw "Error 0x8007016a ‘Cloud File Provider Is not Working’" errors. On the Ubuntu machine (X) the problem folders can't even be accessed as their folder names have broken links to "Unknown."

Folders on Windows still show the Drive icon overlay even though Drive was removed and reinstalled without sync tasks to those folders.

All of this was caused by Drive in Windows 10.

Chkdsk d: /F on windows finds no problems.
sudo ntfsfix /dev/nvme0n1p6 finds no problems on Ubuntu machine for same shared drive.

Shared NTFS Folders that were NOT touched by Synology drive work fine on both machines.

I was insane to share the folders between Windows and Ubuntu with Drive.

My confidence in Drive on Windows is gone.
I will attempt to delete all the problem folders and refilled them and re sync them. I fear all the saved references to the folder names will no longer work.

Beware.

My point was (based on now, not pre-Win10 dual use) that you have either a Ubuntu-wide issue (all or most of the OS and apps) or limited to Syno Drive client accessing folders. Sounds like it's Ubuntu-wide issue accessing NTFS drive and folders but probably caused by Syno Drive client.

Syno Drive server doesn't know that you're dual-booting and that Drive clients will be sync'ing alternately (not at the same time). As far as Drive server is aware there is a situation where it will be running two sync processes to the same client folder and it is stopping this from happening.

As such it's pretty clear (from your evidence) it's not a good idea to dual-sync to the same place. How much space are you saving by trying to have a shared set of folders?

I just remembered that Syno Drive 2 client on Win10 has more features than the Mac client (and probably Ubuntu). Win 10 client offers download on demand so you don't have to sync all your files to the local machine. Could be that Win10 client is tidying up local content based on settings within that client and these are fundamentally different to how Ubuntu client works.

I use Ubuntu from stone age :), I remember for similar scenario of dual boot, but it was during WinXP times. Really long time ago.
For better coexistence and flexible usage I have few LUNs in NAS and single of them for Ubuntu. There is everything what I’m need to run from Oracle VM from any Win machine in this world, include possible transport to USB stick, when necessary (and it is).
You don’t have problem with data share:
- directly between host (Win) and Ubuntu ... Oracle VM support
- directly to LUN
- or by NAS Shared folder for sensitive data
... and the LUN has backup support from Hyper Backup.

Why complicate the easy way, when the easy way is better?
Even when it’s free?

So as I found no way to fix things, I deleted the shared NTFS partition and all synology drive sync destinations are now to unique partitions.

Thanks for the help. I've learned my lesson. The hard way as usual :confused:.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.