User introduction Syno Fan for life

Currently reading
User introduction Syno Fan for life

Hi All,

New user here. I feel I have tried many different storage solutions over the years for NAS/storage and currently have settled on DS1019+ for a year or so now. I have tried so many different solutions, external enclosure with raid controller, Unraid, windows storage spaces, and most recently Qnap. It has been an interesting ride but in the end I found my way back to a Synology device and I can say my search is over and not looking to any other platforms. After using many other platforms, my favorite thing about Synology is the refined and intuitive user interface. Nothing really compares to it, especially making it easy enough for the average home user.

I thought I was going to be a convert to Qnap after a great deal of research. I thought this would be the device that would be perfect for me so I bought it

QNAP TVS-h1688X-W1250-32G 16-Bay Hybrid NAS

I filled that up with 18TB platter drives, NVME cache drives, SSD drives and was ready to go. I really liked the fact they provided very robust hardware in a NAS device that was very capable. This is using ZFS and has some other benefits I wasn't really taking advantage of. The one thing I liked is that it seemed like the perfect device to have multiple Thunderbolt connections as well as 10GB ethernet. With recent MacOS versions the Thunderbolt connection was a problem, could ping the IP on the thunderbolt connection, it just would not mount. I also hated the user interface when I was used to Synology. Now I have this sitting and collecting dust. I have procrastinated selling this super heavy beast and shipping it.

My only slight complaint in switching back is the lack of 18TB Seagate drives. DSM sees these drives as 16TB drives. After hearing from others running these anyway I decided to do the same thing and use it anyway. I have not had any problems.

Aside from that I am keeping an eye on decentralized storage solutions using crypto blockchains. Some of these include Storj, Maidsafe, Sia, and others. It has been interesting following these projects over the years. Until these platforms mature not many may trust their critical data in these new platforms. Too many risks of hacks and vulnerabilities. I do feel eventually these solutions will evolve to the point any user from home can easily monetize their spare computing resources. We will see an evolution away from standard GPU mining in my opinion. Things like RenderToken are an example of this, distributed rendering. I have taken part in this for a couple of years now and it shows promise if they can get enough demand. Web3 buzzword everyone likes to use now, but in the bigger picture the net will evolve giving us new capabilities.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.