Synolgy Drive and symlinks

Currently reading
Synolgy Drive and symlinks

Hello to everybody,

I have a few questions regarding symlinks and syncing in Synology Drive.

Because I don't want to change my folder structure and don't want to move everything I want to sync in my homes folder, I hoped you can create symlinks there instead which will be used for syncing.

With this guide: How to create a symbolic link to a folder on a Synology NAS – albertogonzalez.net I was successful in creating the links (they also appear in the File Manager of DSM) but as soon as a symlink is set up, Drive is giving me the error 'remote folder disabled or non existent' - not just only for new syncing tasks but also for the ones I already set up before creating the symlink (these other task don't have anything to do with the symlink paths either).

Do you have an idea why Drive does this and how I could make it work?

A little follow up question: when using the non permanent solution for creating a symlink, how can I unmount it without restarting the NAS? I tried umount but it didn't want to delete the link.

Thanks for any advice :)

I didn't find a solution for the symlink... because I didn't need to.
The solution was the Drive Admin Console that I didn't know about.

As far as I can tell from experience, Drive and symlinks do not go hand-in-hand with each other.....
Rather, it even chokes up Drive that it stops replicating in the background and the GUI doesnt even show that a sync backlog is building up.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.