Currently reading
Solved Synology 1019+ Newbie needs help please

NAS
DS1019+
Operating system
  1. macOS
Mobile operating system
  1. iOS
G'day, I have a Synology 1019+ NAS. My initial install was with 2 x 8TB Ironwolf Pro HDD, RAID 1.
This is working great. I have since purchased 2 more of the same drives but as a newbie I am unsure what to do now.
Do I install them as another Volume and RAID 1 ? Options ? I need simple instructions on what to do. Please help.

There are 2 options atm. Separate volume2 as RAID1 (mirror) or RAID0 (stripe), or 2 separate volumes (2,3) with each drive being a single drive.

Option 2 is to expand the existing volume1 to RAID5 or RAID6. RAID5 will give you 3 drive capacity with one drive redundancy (3+1), while RAID6 will split it in half, so 2+2. 2 drive capacity and 2 drive redundancy.

I like the idea of the 2nd Volume RAID 1. So from here what do I need to do with the existing 2 HDDs and the data.

I like the idea of the 2nd Volume RAID 1. So from here what do I need to do with the existing 2 HDDs and the data.
If you decide on your 2xRAID1 setup then it is up to you really what you want to do with the currect data.

a) It can continue to live on your volume 1
b) separate it between the two volumes (move some data over)
c) move it all on the new volume (not really the point considering that the volume is the same config/size)

Migration over can be done using Control Panel > Shared folders. Editing a share folder you will get the option to migrate it over to a new volume (once it is created) if you choose to do so.

Again, imho if you will end up with 2 identical volumes, there is no reason for you to move your current data, unless you have something specific in mind.

So I install the 2 HDDs into their slots and initialise them. Then how do I set up the 2nd Volume and RAID 1 ?

So I install the 2 HDDs into their slots and initialise them. Then how do I set up the 2nd Volume and RAID 1 ?
Use the Storage Manager app. Create a new Storage pool and from there, a new Volume (each of those are separate tabs). DSM will do the rest.

If I decide to go RAID 6 when I put in the 2 new HDDs, What happens to the existing data on the current HDDs ? Can I do this without it affecting the data present on the current drives ?

Can I do this without it affecting the data present on the current drives ?
Yes you can. The volume will expand to accommodate the new drives. Capacity will 50%, so 2 drive capacity and the data will remain. However, saying this, it is always best practice to have a backup when doing array manipulations.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.