NAS Compares Synology 10Gbe NAS Video Editing with DaVinci Resolve

Currently reading
NAS Compares Synology 10Gbe NAS Video Editing with DaVinci Resolve

Welcome to NASCompares YouTube channel!

Check out our next video below.

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

NAS Compares Video

- - -

Check out FREE NAS advice section on nascompares.com

first - never use OS or APP disk for store of source media for video editing. Never

second - no one know what was the video sources defined except mp4 (size, level of compression, ...). It's hiding.

third - there is known just output format for the rendering process

forth - what was CPU for the video editing? What RAM and what MB?

fifth - with Intel UHD GPU? Without CUDA and just with OpenCL?

sixth - 11.9GB of final video size (10:08) for 14:32 mins = 11.9 * 1024 * 8 /(14 * 60 + 32) = 112Mbps or 14MB/s AVG speed for the rendering and store locally. It's really useful for old WD Green HDD.
Reason is simple because he uses I/O of same disk for OS, APP, reading of source files for rendering and save rendered job. No helps from the CUDA GPU. Really bad attitude.

Result for the NAS rendering is same. What a surprise with 14MB/s performance from the PC. It's enough for 100Mbps NIC in NAS. No need fast disk in NAS, even RAID0 (what is a standard for the rendering purposes). No need 10Gbps NIC in NAS for such video editing architecture. Even when you have got Solo10Gb TB3 external adapter connected to your PC as was used in this test.

The final test of NVIDIA card for playing of the video from NAS wasn't useful for video editing purposes.

When you would like to edit your videos, use this video as - never do this way example.

seems to be we both of us have written the same thing, but each in a different way

Name of the thread: "10Gbe NAS Video Editing with DaVinci Resolve"

When you would like to utilize 10G LAN = you need sufficient E2E architecture for the video editing:

1601033549111.png

but in this Review was used really Low level kind of architecture with final 14MB/s write performance at NAS side:

1601033680363.png

is it better now?

is it better now?
I think we’re looking at this from different angles. I don’t mind that he did it that way. I’m just not convinced that he pushed the NAS to show me if it‘s performing adequately or not. I was focusing on the NAS performance (being a new model) not on the DaVinci thing. I wished that he used something (editing wise) that puts more load on the NAS itself with that architecture. To me he didn’t.

I think he could’ve done so by doing more disk demanding editing. If it can’t be done with his architecture (as you’re saying) then this means that the whole idea is a big fail :)

of course,
my point was strictly related to thread title and the video YT content attached:
Synology 10Gbe NAS Video Editing with DaVinci Resolve

your point of view was from different target (wasn't part of this review):
I was focusing on the NAS performance (being a new model) not on the DaVinci thing.

but both of them:
- NAS as editing source and rendering target
- editing SW
must be well tuned and "connected" to achieve well orchestrated enviro and max. possible power at both sides.

Otherwise you will get a nice car, equipped with HEMI 5.7v8, 10 empty lanes highway and "zero octane" petrol in the car's tank.
As you wrote:
... that the whole idea is a big fail :)

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.