NAS
DS918+, DS115j
Operating system
  1. macOS
  2. Windows
Mobile operating system
  1. iOS
Hi,

I've stumbled upon an issue with my synology. It seems it can't be a VPN client and a VPN server simultaneously.
Both are working with no hassle but not at the same time.

Once I try to connect DSM to the VPN, DSM asks to disable VPN server. It also notifies me about disabling port forwarding.
And vice versa it asks to disconnect VPN if I want to run VPN server.

Changing ports for VPN Server didn't help.

Also I can't reach synology remotely via public ip or xxx.synology.me while it is connected to the VPN. UPnP has been disabled on the router and port forwarding has been done manually - still no external access.

There is on old thread with the same issue from 2013 and no solution. I hope it turns out to be a resolvable situation in 2020 :)

My goal is to have both a client and a server working on the synology.
I would highly appreciate any tips and possible solutions.

Thanks!

DS918+
DSM 6.2.3-25426 Update 2

Hi,

I've stumbled upon an issue with my synology. It seems it can't be a VPN client and a VPN server simultaneously.
Both are working with no hassle but not at the same time.

Once I try to connect DSM to the VPN, DSM asks to disable VPN server. It also notifies me about disabling port forwarding.
And vice versa it asks to disconnect VPN if I want to run VPN server.

Changing ports for VPN Server didn't help.

Also I can't reach synology remotely via public ip or xxx.synology.me while it is connected to the VPN. UPnP has been disabled on the router and port forwarding has been done manually - still no external access.

There is on old thread with the same issue from 2013 and no solution. I hope it turns out to be a resolvable situation in 2020 :)

My goal is to have both a client and a server working on the synology.
I would highly appreciate any tips and possible solutions.

Thanks!

DS918+
DSM 6.2.3-25426 Update 2
Try and push outgoing vpn via docker and use the incoming vpn server as normal.

If that doesn’t work you can also start up VDSM and use that as an outgoing dsm vpn client and again your vpn server on the nas as incoming vpn server

Last edited:
Try and push outgoing vpn via docker and use the incoming vpn server as normal.

If that doesn’t work you can also start up VDSM and use that as an outgoing dsm vpn client and again your vpn server on the nas as incoming vpn server

Hi, Rusty.

Thanks for the reply!

I thought about Docker, but with running Docker the disks won't go to hibernation and I have raid, so none of them won't. That is not something I wanna do with disks' lifespan :)

With regard to VDSM. In this case there would be 2 instances of DSM. It should work, but requires "maintaining" an extra DSM. Not sure about disks' hibernation here. Will they hibernate while running a VDSM?

Is there a way doing it without Docker and VDSM?
There are 2 RJ-45 ports in DS918+, they are set in a full duplex mode right now. I've learnt they can be used either for redundancy or LAG.
I wonder if each LAN can be "assigned" for specific ports\applications in the redundancy mode.

If there is no way to avoid Docker and VDSM.
Will SSD cache read&write help in this case to mitigate HDDs' lifespan?
With a lot of SSD cache topics in the internet mentioning DSM unresponsiveness once cache is full, is it a good choice?

Will they hibernate while running a VDSM?
They should - DiskStation Manager - Knowledge Base | Synology Inc.

Is there a way doing it without Docker and VDSM?
There are unsupported options to run server and client on the same host. Google it a bit

Will SSD cache read&write help in this case to mitigate HDDs' lifespan?
Considering that the cache array is attached to one volume at the time and docker/vdsm lives on that volume (or some other?) it might mitigate a bit but it depends on what's running on your volume that the cache is attached to as well as if there are apps/services that will benefit from it.

With a lot of SSD cache topics on the internet mentioning DSM unresponsiveness once the cache is full, is it a good choice?
Haven't seen this happens once in over 3y since I have a cache.

I thought about Docker, but with running Docker the disks won't go to hibernation and I have raid, so none of them won't. That is not something I wanna do with disks' lifespan :)
Hi,

Without VDSM and Docker (as it is now), are you getting long hibernation times?
According to my experience a long time ago the disks wake up every hour or so, it ends up being useless.

BTW, there’s a counter argument that says hibernation (and waking up) every now and then is not good for the disks :)

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.