Synology Assistant - Can't find my NAS after restart

NAS
DS220+
Operating system
  1. Windows
Mobile operating system
  1. Android
Hey guys,

I have Synology DS220+ and I want to use it as a print/scan server. It works perfectly with my laptop and I want to configure it on the home laptop too.
But I have a problem with it. I use Synology Assistant to Attach Scan, where my NAS have to show up in Management tab. But it shows up only when I disable and enable Ethernet device, then it works.
After I turn off the computer and turn on again, I have the same problem. My NAS didn't show up (after a search) and I have to again turn on and off Ethernet and then it works.

Can you help me with it?

Thank you very much

You seem to be depending network broadcasting which is not reliable (that is what Synology Assistant does) at all. Common practice is to use the IP/FQDN/hostname of the NAS to use it's services. Assume you've also given your NAS a static IP address in your LAN either by manually configuring it or/and by making a DHCP reservation.

So what is the best solution to make it work? Manually set IP address in my LAN? I am new to all of this, so I don't know what to do...

So what is the best solution to make it work? Manually set IP address in my LAN? I am new to all of this, so I don't know what to do...
As @Shadow suggested. Fix you NAS on a static LAN IP address and access it using that IP address from your computer/software that you are using.

Control Panel > Network > Interface (tab) > Edit one of the interface in use > IPv4 tab > Use Manual configuration.

There configure your LAN IP address for the NAS, its subnet mask, gateway, and DNS.

for example:

Code:

Now, this is just an example. Then your NAS will be accessible on IP 192.168.11.10 each time.

NOTE: Be sure to change and configure your NAS IP address to the same network subnet you are currently in. If you configure the wrong subnet you will not be able to reach your NAS from the network.

As @Shadow suggested. Fix you NAS on a static LAN IP address and access it using that IP address from your computer/software that you are using.

Control Panel > Network > Interface (tab) > Edit one of the interface in use > IPv4 tab > Use Manual configuration.

There configure your LAN IP address for the NAS, its subnet mask, gateway, and DNS.

for example:

Code:

Now, this is just an example. Then your NAS will be accessible on IP 192.168.11.10 each time.
Thanks for your answer. I found these settings and set it to manual. But should I change something? Or keep default settings like this:
1603792707866.png

Is that how you found those settings? Either you did that, or someone else who can access your NAS. Anyway, apparently you can access your nas via IP addres 192.168.68.115 .

For example, see if you can access an SMB share on your NAS by going to this address in your explorer: \\192.168.68.115\<share_name> .
Same method can be used to reach a printer via this NAS.

Is that how you found those settings? Either you did that, or someone else who can access your NAS. Anyway, apparently you can access your nas via IP addres 192.168.68.115 .

For example, see if you can access an SMB share on your NAS by going to this address in your explorer: \\192.168.68.115\<share_name> .
Same method can be used to reach a printer via this NAS.
It works fine when I want to access NAS using an IP address, even after a restart. But Synology Assistant have problem with it. When it doesn't show up, I can't print or scan...

And changing IPv4 to manual configuration doesn't help.

When it doesn't show up, I can't print or scan
I might be missing something obvious here.

Why do you need Syno Assistant to be able to scan or print? What's the software you are using to make this happen and what's the exact process you are using to make this happen?

Why do you need Syno Assistant to be able to scan or print? What's the software you are using to make this happen and what's the exact process you are using to make this happen?
I am using my NAS as Print Server. Because I have connected my multifunctional printer to NAS via rear USB. This all works on my personal laptop with Syno Assistant, but it doesn't work on our home laptop.

Have you connected both NIC's of the NAS on your network? Maybe this is confusing something. Disconnect one of them so the IP is reachable over a single IP address in your network.
Yes, I did that. The point is that it works, but to make it work I have to turn off and turn on Ethernet Adapter from Windows settings.

I have siblings and parents who want to use a scanner and printer, but for them is too many steps to make it works, every time after the computer turn on.

I would get a USB print server device and made that USB printer a network printer. All of you would have far fewer problems in that case.
Yes, you are right. But the big point for buying this NAS was that it works as a USB print server as well. And it works fine with my laptop. So I don't understand what I am doing wrong.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.