Synology Assistant is being blocked by the firewall. How do you configure the firewall to allow

Currently reading
Synology Assistant is being blocked by the firewall. How do you configure the firewall to allow

NAS
NASMesa
Operating system
  1. Windows
I had to reinstall windows and all app software. Synology Assistant cannot find my NAS. When I turn off the firewall Synology Assistant works fine.

I cannot find a setting to configure the firewall to allow the Synology Assistant to work.

Any ideas?

Win 10 Latest and greatest version.
NAS at DS7

I found the solution on my own.

It turns out that a fresh install of Windows turns off the Firewall notifications. They are supposed to notify users that the app they are using has been blocked. It then gives the user the choice to allow or continue to block the app.

After installing Synology Assistant, that app could not find my NAS. One of the suggested remedies was to turn off the Firewall and test. When I turned off the Firewall, Synology Assistant was able to find and open my NAS.

Next, I turned notifications on in the Firewall. When i tried Synology Assistant again the firewall identified the culprit which was "dsassistant".

I then enabled the inbound rule for "dsassistant", and everything started working.

Upvote 0
I had the exact same problem. In my case, I found 2 rules for dsassistant in the firewall inbound rules and one of them was disabled. I've enabled both and now the assistant can find my NAS.

Upvote 0

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.