Synology Assistant Memtest not working on DS1821+

NAS
DS209+II, DS713+, DX513, DS1821+
Operating system
  1. Windows
Mobile operating system
  1. Android
Hello,

I just got a brand new DS1821+ (7.0.1-42218 Update 3) and I have started to set it up.
It came with the original 4GB RAM and I have inserted for the time being only 2x WDC WD80EFBX.

As usual, I am running all tests before starting to fill the DS with data.

When running the Memtest from the Synology Assistant (7.0.3-50049), the DS is rebooting but then it is not coming up properly. The green status led is blinking and the DS is not reachable. Also not through SSH. The only way to proceed is to force a shutdown pressing the power button for 3 seconds. Then I can restart it and it is working again.
The normal reboot from the DSM is working well.

I have repeated it 3 times getting always the same behavior: no connection after the generated reboot and apparently the Memtest is not started.

Somehow the SA forces a reboot with some parameters that are putting the DS into a not working mode after the reboot.
What can the issue be?

I want to be sure everything is fine before using it heavily.
Thanks.

So you are not running it with after market RAM on top of those 4GB?
Nope. Just the original 4GB RAM from Synology. I haven't open it yet.
Is there a way to run such test directly from the shell?

When running the Memtest from the Synology Assistant (7.0.3-50049), the DS is rebooting but then it is not coming up properly.
It‘s been a long time since I ran a memtest but I think that’s the normal behavior.
Wait for a while and close the assistant and run it again. It should pickup the NAS and show the percentage increased.

You’ll need to be patient. It’ll take a long time to finish the test, hours. Just keep in mind that the “completed” percentage is not refreshed until you close and run the assistant again (as I recall).

You’ll need to be patient. It’ll take a long time to finish the test, hours. Just keep in mind that the “completed” percentage is not refreshed until you close and run the assistant again (as I recall).
Thanks WST16 for the feedback.
I will then wait for more time to see if the DS will pop up in the Assistant.
So, it is the normal behavior that the DS is not accessible during the Memtest.

I will then wait for more time to see if the DS will pop up in the Assistant.
I’m not sure I’m following you.
When you run the assistant it should find your NAS (is it?). You’ll start the memory test from the assistant and it’ll reboot the NAS and the memory testing proceeds. During that time, you can’t access your NAS.

It’ll take a few hours to complete the test.

I start the Assistant. Select the NAS. Start the Memtest. The NAS is rebooted. After the reboot the NAS status led is blinking green. I cannot access the NAS. The Assistant is not showing the NAS anymore. There is no Memtest process status showed in the Assistant. After a couple of hours the NAS is rebooting from itself. After the new reboot everything looks good. Status led is OK. NAS is reachable. But no log file found on the NAS. I am puzzled.

Last edited:
Just run the command, here the output:

2022-05-05T20:16:22+02:00 xxxxx findhostd[11544]: util_fhost.c:1207 Memtest passed! 2022-05-05T20:16:22+02:00 xxxxx findhostd[11520]: util_fhost.c:1207 Memtest passed! 2022-05-05T20:16:22+02:00 xxxxx findhostd[11530]: util_fhost.c:1207 Memtest passed!

It is not the log I expected, but does this mean that the Memtest was OK, or is this the standard memory check at boot time?

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.