Currently reading
Synology Assistant suddenly doesn't pick up the NASs

NAS
2 x DS115j
Operating system
  1. Windows
Mobile operating system
  1. Android
My Synology Assistant suddenly stopped showing my two NASs. I can still access the contents them via Network on my PC, and via another computer on the wireless network, and the lights are on. Warning: low level of ITC knowledge. Can't see on Synology website a facility to reinstall the Synology Assistant - I guess it is part and parcel of the DSM?

Well, that's good news. Thanks akahan.
I have to wonder why, then, why didn't Synology Support suggest that?
Will the download automatically replace the current installation?
Silly question maybe, but I need have no concern about any effect on my data in the NASs?

If you download and install Synology Assistant, it will replace the version of Synology Assistant on your computer. It will not affect in any way what is on your NASs. It is just a tool that runs on the computer and provides a convenient way to find the NASs on your network, and enables you to connect to them and send simple commands to them.

Sorry, a refreshed Assistant didn't make any difference. Still no NASs showing when I run it. Next suggestion please.

Last edited:
The FIRST suggestion would be to make sure that your Windows firewall and any antivirus or similar "protective" packages you might have installed are disabled (temporarily, for testing purposes), and then try Synology Assistant again. Because the most likely cause is that some firewall package on the PC is blocking it.

As a first step, go (on the PC) to Control Panel / Windows Defender Firewall, then click on "Allow an app or feature through Windows Defender Firewall," and then scroll down and make sure the checkboxes to the left of the entries for "dsassistant" are checked. If they aren't, click on "Change settings," then check them, then click "OK".

I got into the router, but cannot see any place where the connected devices are listed. What should I look for?
I have tried with firewall and security off. No go.
find.synology.com brings up the 'This website redirected you too many times.' Clearing cookies didn't fix it.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.