Synology Drive 2.0 BETA

Currently reading
Synology Drive 2.0 BETA

Regarding the new drive and on demand feature. Has anyone seen (yet) where you can open the file (streamed from NAS) and not have it download or keep a local copy?

On-demand - tried. My point: it is perfect for content, which you don't need in your local copy, but you have to know, that the content is "on-demand" available for "now" action. Perfect for big files, or content, that is not necessary synced with all teammates.

Syno description:

This icon indicates that your file or folder is available when online and does not take up disk capacity. You may open and download a local copy to the computer, or right-click on the file, select Synology Drive and Pin local copy permanently to maintain a local copy.

Not using Drive that much myself but is there an option to see TeamFolders not just via Web/mobile app but via desktop app as well? I think I remember that the local client will not show up anything outside "MyDrive" folder and "Shared with me".

Anyone have any info on that?

Last edited:
Hey, so I'm still using CloudStation Server and PhotoStation.
If I replace CS with either Drive 1.0 or Drive 2.0, will PhotoStation continue to work, or do I need to move to Moments?

Edit: Never mind, I bit the bullet and "upgraded" to Drive 2.0. PhotoStation still works and so far everything else seems to as well. Drive actually seems quicker via the mobile apps too.

Drive and Photostation are independent packages
Yeah, I just couldn't remember how intertwined they were, when Moments first came out I had to install Drive to run it, then, I didn't like Moments so had to uninstall everything and re-sync all the Cloud Station Clients which was a major pain in the ring. I don't think the Clients were compatible with Drive back then and Drive was limited compared to today's functionality.

So the way I understand it (from the discussions here) is that this beta version brings with it "on demand" syncing for Windows for now and a Mac version will follow. Correct me if I'm wrong please.

What about the mobile versions? To me, it's more important to have my iOS devices with this capability than my Mac. Is this coming too?

So the way I understand it (from the discussions here) is that this beta version brings with it "on demand" syncing for Windows for now and a Mac version will follow. Correct me if I'm wrong please.

What about the mobile versions? To me, it's more important to have my iOS devices with this capability than my Mac. Is this coming too?

I received a recent email regarding a Synology webinar coming up. In that email they talk about file streaming, however I’m just not sure if it refers to their office applications or drive. I attached the screenshots.

Attachments

• 3F3E8A59-7DE9-4F78-BFE7-8012C7C4E0D2.jpeg
    3F3E8A59-7DE9-4F78-BFE7-8012C7C4E0D2.jpeg
    33.5 KB · Views: 35
  • 206D508B-6A27-46C3-B746-B928CA238F9C.jpeg
    206D508B-6A27-46C3-B746-B928CA238F9C.jpeg
    30.9 KB · Views: 48
Last edited:
On Android (FWIW) Drive (original, not beta) is on-demand syncing. You can see the file/folder structure, but files are unavailable without a data/wifi connection. Clicking on a file then downloads it locally. This works for me, however, when I'm on the LAN I just use a file explorer tool to connect directly to the Drive folders.

Isn't that the same as using WebDAV/SFTP/SMB/AFP?

As a Mac user I haven't seen on-demand in action.

I guess in a way it is, but you would get more functionality using something like drive. For instance, if you wanted to browse for a specific file every time, when you click on a file it would download to your system. I think it should primarily stream first with the option to download (keep local copy on the computer).

Also I have two workstation computers that use the smb for a shared docs folder. Up until now I have not been able to do the same with the desktop files because then I would get duplicated and inoperable icons. With drive you have filtering and you can omit those desktop icon files. So up until now files on the desktop has never been synced or backed up because smb was all or nothing. With drive I am able to get the files saved on the desktop to the nas/shared location (despite constantly telling the end user never save anything to the desktop; always save to the network drive...but yea good luck with end users )

iOS - there is not Beta iOS App (in AppStore)
in last ver Drive 2.1.0 - there is not this feature

I woke up this morning to find an error notification from my NAS. It told me that it had only done a partial backup (HyperBackup runs each day @ 1am to a local USB drive). When I installed Drive yesterday, I added the Drive application to the Backup task.
It doesn’t look like it backed it up, anyone else have this issue? I noticed there was a Beta version of HyperBackup, is this required?

Last edited:
Ok, so after posting above, I thought I’d try to kick off a manual HB task, it also failed as a partial backup. When I checked the settings, Drive Server was not selected as an app to backup, I’m not sure if the NAS deselected it, or I didn’t save the settings correctly, but either way, not sure why I’m getting a warning? I never Backup Surveillance Station and have never received the partial backup error. In the logs it tells me that both apps were either missing or not selected?

Anyway, I selected Drive Server and kicked off another manual backup, it’s running now but my backup size is increasing from normal. I haven’t added any data - does it treat the CloudStation data and Drive data as two seperate sources? Do I need to wait for the timeframe to expire on my Versioning rules so the CloudStation data drops off to regain the drive space? (I upgraded from CS to Drive).

A potential issue I see with this, is, what happens if my Backup target (either USB HDD or Cloud destination etc) was nearly full, assume the backup would fail?

Anyway, I selected Drive Server and kicked off another manual backup, it’s running now but my backup size is increasing from normal. I haven’t added any data - does it treat the CloudStation data and Drive data as two seperate sources? Do I need to wait for the timeframe to expire on my Versioning rules so the CloudStation data drops off to regain the drive space? (I upgraded from CS to Drive).

A potential issue I see with this, is, what happens if my Backup target (either USB HDD or Cloud destination etc) was nearly full, assume the backup would fail?
I’m going to have to retract this I think, I cancelled the backup and checked the HB rules, somehow it had included my Surveillance Station data as well, so think that was being added. I unticked that and ran a backup again and it seemed ok now.

sounds good, that you have a reason.
you don’t need HB beta for Drive 2.0 backup. For me it is running now as separate task (another NAS target).
A recommendation:
As first backup layer there is new feature mentioned above -Syno Drive Sync (great), but you need second NAS. It can save a time when sh.t happens.
Second layer is the HB (for single NAS enviro - first layer). Third (second) is up to each own experiences/expectations/budget.
From my experiences is better not mixed Syno NAS backups (as written in your post):
  • it will save a time during the backup (and this is most critical period for the data loss)
  • if something is happening, then just for single and specific task/instance
  • it will save a time during data restoration.
Then never happened such situation. But, as Forrest’s mom told: Life is like box of chocolates. You never know, ...

btw: this is HB topic, then pls. use HB App Forum stage for advanced thread development. But thank you for your interest to share success story also.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.