Synology Drive as a backup option

Currently reading
Synology Drive as a backup option

NAS
DS920+
Operating system
  1. Windows
Hey there folks. I have a DS920+ with two 16TB drives installed in mirroring mode. My pc has one 16TB HDD. I have around 11TB in total of data.
I have the NAS connected to a gigabit router and the pc also has a gigabit ethernet port.
I was using Active Backup for Bussiness as a backup solution but is just way to slow. After the first backup is done, each new backup takes at least 1.5 to 2 days to complete only to check if there's something new to backup.
Please help me setup the option to use Synology Drive with snapshots to get a faster way for backup.
I can't have all my data on the Synology because I'm using backblaze and the cost of backing up the NAS will be 10 times more expensive than my now unlimited backup from my PC.
Sorry I'm posting this again but nobody answered this the last time.
Thanks.

takes at least 1.5 to 2 days to complete
So you do have a complete initial backup?

I have the NAS connected to a gigabit router and the pc also has a gigabit ethernet port
You are 100% sure that the connection is 1G? How much data was copied in the initial backup and at what speeds? Can you share the task statistic?

Please help me setup the option to use Synology Drive with snapshots to get a faster way for backup.
So you have tried to set up Drive backup task from your PC? Not sure what help there should be. Do understand that ABB vs Drive will have a different approach when it comes to backups as ABB can do a full computer backup for bare-metal restore, as Drive can do only partial (data folders).

Last edited:
11TB transferred at 1Gbps will take about 25 hours at full speed. Reading/writing it to disk will reduce that plus processing and validating the data. Then the NAS probably won’t give all resources to Drive Server.

Have a look at the network speeds being achieved. That should give you an idea of how fast data is being added to the backup.

11 TB backup will probably remain slow, also in Drive.
is there anything you can do to reduce the amount of data that needs backup?
often, data can be split into an “never changes” sort of archive part, that can be backupped in a separate low frequency backup. Than the fast movers, that is in my case just a few 100GB, that needs daily backup.
so summarizing: see if it works for you to organize your data in a way that you can setup 2 or 3 backup tasks, in stead of trying to do all at once.

So you do have a complete initial backup?

You are 100% sure that the connection is 1G? How much data was copied in the initial backup and at what speeds? Can you share the task statistic?

So you have tried to set up Drive backup task from your PC? Not sure what help there should be. Do understand that ABB vs Drive will have a different approach when it comes to backups as ABB can do a full computer backup for bare-metal restore, as Drive can do only partial (data folders).

Yes, the backup was completed, I´m sure of it.
I´m also sure the connection is 1G
I´m not interested in full bare metal restore, I can reinstall Windows and my software easily.
-- post merged: --

11TB transferred at 1Gbps will take about 25 hours at full speed. Reading/writing it to disk will reduce that plus processing and validating the data. Then the NAS probably won’t give all resources to Drive Server.

Have a look at the network speeds being achieved. That should give you an idea of how fast data is being added to the backup.
My issue is not how long the first backup takes, is how long it takes for the newer backups, very few data is added each week, but just the process of checking if there is new things to copy takes as long as the first backup.
-- post merged: --

11 TB backup will probably remain slow, also in Drive.
is there anything you can do to reduce the amount of data that needs backup?
often, data can be split into an “never changes” sort of archive part, that can be backupped in a separate low frequency backup. Than the fast movers, that is in my case just a few 100GB, that needs daily backup.
so summarizing: see if it works for you to organize your data in a way that you can setup 2 or 3 backup tasks, in stead of trying to do all at once.
It does not solve my issue, I will backup probably just once a week and I will keep my machine and NAS on for the duration of the backup, then turn them off, so, spliting the task is not a solution.
I have 11 TB of photos and lightroom catalog, I keep accessing this photos and not much changes but many times I´m tyding up the folder structure or renaming folders so the data changes randomly.

very few data is added each week
If this is true but your task is again 11TB large, it is no longer that it takes that long to detect deltas. This is just too much stress for this backup task. Would go the way that @EAZ1964 suggested. Split it and make the "hot" data (that had any change) in a separate task from the rest of the "cold" (0 changes) data.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.