Synology Drive/ Cloud Station Share Sync - encrypted folder?

Currently reading
Synology Drive/ Cloud Station Share Sync - encrypted folder?

NAS
RS812+ DS718+
Operating system
  1. macOS
  2. Windows
Mobile operating system
  1. iOS
Main Question #1
Is it possible to sync an encrypted & mounted folder using Synology Drive/ Cloud Station Sync?
I am syncing between two NAS drives at two different locations and have successfully synced unencrypted folders.
When I "enable" the encrypted & mounted folder from Synology Drive Server it acts as normal (from an admin console perspective), but never appears in the Cloud Station Share Sync list at the client side.

Follow up question #2
Also, I must say I am a bit confused about the different methods available and the naming conventions.
Should I install Drive server at both ends?
I don't want to install packages necessarily and I understood Drive is a client server model. Does the "server package also install a client app or am I using the right package at client level by using the Cloud Station Share Sync (which I am led to believe is the "old" name for Drive??)

Thanks for any help

Setup
NAS1 Site#1: RS812+ with 4x 2TB SHR providing 6TB storage Synology Drive Server 2.0.4 11112
NAS2 Site#2: DS718+ with 1x6TB - no redundancy (yet) Cloud Sync 2.4.1 -1211
Full backup of master NAS1 (only) in cloud
BTRFS on both NAS

Solution
Are we talking about the Drive ShareSync icon/app? If so, then yes this is the client part of the Drive Server package. On both sides, you will need to have the Drive server package installed and on the compatible version.

You CAN'T mount remote folders as Team Folders in order to use ShareSync feature on them
Screenshot 2021-05-07 at 08.25.17.png

On the other hand, you CAN sync encrypted shared folders that are presented as team folders. Ofc they have to mount in order to be visible in order for ShareSync to pick them up.

Yes, and they have to be compatible versions. It will also depend on the direction of sync. For example, you can't sync from one Drive client to the other if the "source" one is on a...
Are we talking about the Drive ShareSync icon/app? If so, then yes this is the client part of the Drive Server package. On both sides, you will need to have the Drive server package installed and on the compatible version.

You CAN'T mount remote folders as Team Folders in order to use ShareSync feature on them
Screenshot 2021-05-07 at 08.25.17.png

On the other hand, you CAN sync encrypted shared folders that are presented as team folders. Ofc they have to mount in order to be visible in order for ShareSync to pick them up.

Yes, and they have to be compatible versions. It will also depend on the direction of sync. For example, you can't sync from one Drive client to the other if the "source" one is on a lower version of Drive. On the other hand, you can sync from a more recent "source" version to the older one, for example from the Drive version in DSM7 beta to the current DSM6 version.

using the Cloud Station Share Sync (which I am led to believe is the "old" name for Drive??)
Yes that is the old version/name. The current version of Drive package uses Drive ShareSync name.

Upvote 1
Solution

View attachment 3553

Yes, and they have to be compatible versions. It will also depend on the direction of sync. For example, you can't sync from one Drive client to the other if the "source" one is on a lower version of Drive. On the other hand, you can sync from a more recent "source" version to the older one, for example from the Drive version in DSM7 beta to the current DSM6 version.

Yes that is the old version/name. The current version of Drive package uses Drive ShareSync name.

Firstly thanks Rusty for your prompt and informative reply, and also for moving my enquiry into the correct category.
Are we talking about the Drive ShareSync icon/app?
I hadn't installed Drive Server on NAS2, so I couldn't see Drive ShareSync app at what was to be the client end. Hence I was using the only thing available - Cloud Station Sync. That also meant the encrypted folders weren't appearing whether enabled as Team folder, mounted or otherwise.

I have been successful now in syncing the encrypted folder between the two NAS sites. (Thank you)

It does work for me now, so maybe it doesn't matter, but I am still seeking to better understand what appears to be a contradiction in the following statements:
you CAN sync encrypted shared folders that are presented as team folders
Or they have to mount in order to be visible in order for ShareSync to pick them up

What am I missing? Does it mean, mount first, then open Team Folders?

As far as I know, all I have done is mount the folders at both ends and they are in the Team Folder list, so then I can "Enable" them as a sync folder. (Only now I have installed Drive Server at both ends)

Finally, it I may ask a new question.... I assume it could be problematic if one enables a folder as two way sync at both ends. In other words a folder should always be though of as Client or server and enabled & configured at server end only.

P.S. Do you have a view on how stable/ready/worthwhile DSM7 and Drive Beta are at the moment? I've had a peak at DSM7 and it looks cool, but not sure what's underneath. I'd love to upgrade, but not if they're too buggy still.

P.P.S. Your www.blackvoid.club is beautifully executed. Looks like a great site. Nice work.

Upvote 0
I have been successful now in syncing the encrypted folder between the two NAS sites. (Thank you)
👍

What am I missing? Does it mean, mount first, then open Team Folders?
What I meant is that you cant mount a remote folder (from a separate device) to your NAS and then present it as a Team folder. That will not work and in return, you will not be able to use it via ShareSync.

As far as I know, all I have done is mount the folders at both ends and they are in the Team Folder list, so then I can "Enable" them as a sync folder. (Only now I have installed Drive Server at both ends)
Mounting an encrypted folder that lives on the NAS is not the same as a remote mount towards your NAS (from another NAS or any other network device via SMB for example.

I assume it could be problematic if one enables a folder as two way sync at both ends.
If you set up a 2-way sync there is no point in setting it up on both sides.

Do you have a view on how stable/ready/worthwhile DSM7 and Drive Beta are at the moment?
They are stable, but saying that I would suggest waiting for what looks like an imminent release of another beta and a summer release of DSM7 (final). This is at least the info that Syno support is pushing out via support chat. You will not get any uber major features on that end but if you are interested in them, maybe 1st read my short overview of new features in this article and decide for yourself.

Your www.blackvoid.club is beautifully executed. Looks like a great site. Nice work.
🙏

Upvote 1
👍

What I meant is that you cant mount a remote folder (from a separate device) to your NAS and then present it as a Team folder. That will not work and in return, you will not be able to use it via ShareSync.

Mounting an encrypted folder that lives on the NAS is not the same as a remote mount towards your NAS (from another NAS or any other network device via SMB for example.

If you set up a 2-way sync there is no point in setting it up on both sides.

They are stable, but saying that I would suggest waiting for what looks like an imminent release of another beta and a summer release of DSM7 (final). This is at least the info that Syno support is pushing out via support chat. You will not get any uber major features on that end but if you are interested in them, maybe 1st read my short overview of new features in this article and decide for yourself.

🙏
Ahhh... makes perfect sense now.
Thank you for taking the trouble to not only answer but also to clarify.
Admirably Resolved. ;)

Upvote 0

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.