Currently reading
Synology Drive Compatibility List Vendor Lock hack

NAS
DS1815+, DS414j
Operating system
  1. Windows
Mobile operating system
  1. iOS
I just thought I would include this from the linustechtips forums.
User: Neonkoala posted on August 2nd,2022

Edit the file:

Code:
/etc.defaults/synoinfo.conf

Then find the option support_disk_compatibility and change it from yes to no

Code:
support_disk_compatibility="no"

Then reboot.

Synology DSM 7 drive lock bypass

Last edited:
Gotta ask, as this could theoretically happen!:

You do that hack; Then you install 2x new disks, one at a time, drives that were previously locked. Reboot. SHR works.

Then you do a firmware update on NAS…

What Happens on restart???

In other words—how do you successfully boot in order to edit the config file, if the config file is subsequently overwritten??

This action isn’t as benign as the overclocking of SD Card slot was on the 2600…

What Happens on restart???
never tried, but the probable situation after DSM update:
updated DSM will switch the volume to critical state = unmouted, but your SSH will be available, because system is running from diff. independent partition.
And you need just SSH for the rewrite of synoinfo.conf parameter. So?

It mostly works. I just got a new DS2422 and DX1222. The verification warning disappeared from the DS2422+ but remained on the DX1222. So partial success.

I have looked through the rest of the file and don't see the options on the expansion.

Interesting - the expansion cabinet "technically?" doesn't have an OS on it, wonder where it get its configuration info from, perhaps another file needs to be touched?

Has anyone found a fix for the external chassis (DX1222) issue?
Just bought one and the support_disk_compatibility change works for the base NAS but NOT the expansion chassis !!!
HELP !!!

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.