Synology Drive extremely slow!! omg, help needed.

Currently reading
Synology Drive extremely slow!! omg, help needed.

NAS
DS1621+
Operating system
  1. Windows
Mobile operating system
  1. Android
Hey all,

This problem drives me crazy!

Just bought a DS1621+ on Raid 5. Installed it at home on my router.
I have a 1Gbps internet fiber connection at home.

I installed Synology Drive client on my home computer and my coworker's computer at his place also.
He also has a 1Gbps fiber internet connection at his place.

Here's the very simple setup:

nas-setup-v1.png

We're trying to sync video projects, since we're into video editing. The other day it took 3 DAYS to sync 600GB of files for a project.
Upload speed of 2 to 3 Mb/s. Insanely slow. It should have take 4 to 6 hours max, not 3 days...

I used the Drive client using Quickconnect and DDNS, both are slow.
On my router I have ports 5000; 5001; 6690 and 80 forwarded and open.
The NAS is on its own dedicated IP, no DHCP.
Everything wired, no WiFi.

With dropbox using the same config, we use to have 30 to 60Mb/s transfer between dropbox and our computers and dropbox servers.
Now that I migrated all our data to the NAS, we're getting only 2 to 3Mb/s using the same configuration.
...on a 1Gbps connection, this is quite frustrating not being able to use the available bandwidth.

Between PC1 and the NAS I'm getting 80 to 120Mb/s. It's on the same router so that's okay.
But between the NAS and PC2... only 2Mb/s. On both DDNS or Quickconnect.

Did lots of test with my ISP, they swear the network works flawlessly at 1Gbps...

Any idea what is going on here? Is it Synology drive client app or network or config?

Thanks

Yup all 1000 duplex

Its a mix of small and big really, mostly big files. video files are from 5GB to 50GB each.

Let’s see if someone else has any suggestions.

It could be the number of files dumped in the folder. If I were you, I’d test with a single big sized file (say 5-10 GB), just one to see if it makes any difference.

If all fails, the other options that I keep coming across that you might try are Resilio (it uses the BitTorrent protocol, so you should make sure it’s not blocked by your ISP), and GoodSync. Both are not free.

Make sure you have the QuickConnect relay server turned off. It will bounce the traffic through Synology's server. While helpful for getting around NAT, it will severely slow throughput.

1607229763050.png

If the results are the same using QC and DDNS then it's not the relay that's the problem IMHO. @Dexxer would you be open to a test using a different protocol? Maybe SFTP? Just for a test to see if a different protocol will give different/better results.

Last edited:
Make sure you have the QuickConnect relay server turned off. It will bounce the traffic through Synology's server. While helpful for getting around NAT, it will severely slow throughput.

View attachment 2570
Yes everything about Quickconnect is disabled. I then tried DDNS, that'S what Synology support team suggested. And it did not solve the issue. This is mysterious. I'm wondering if the ISP has some kind of special QoS algorithm to stop home user from doing "pro/business" level work from home...
-- post merged: --

If the results are the same using QC and DDNS then it's not the relay that's the problem IMHO. @Dexxer would you be open to a test using a different protocol? Maybe SFTP? Just for a test to see if a different protocol will give different/better results.
I didn't dare trying SFTP yet, seems a bit advanced.

So I check the SFTP box, port forward port 22 on the router.
Then use fillezilla or WinSCP to connect to my NAS via external IP address from PC2 at my friend's place.

And then try to drag and drop a 10GB file in there to check the speed?
-- post merged: --

I was even thinking to test it by logging in from the remote site to the DS FileStation and to download some big file. @Dexxer is saying that it’s about 2Mb/s which is totally unrealistic for a 1Gb fiber.
Reach to File station via a web browser? and drag and drop a big file inside?

just to be sure:
1. Sagemcom Fast 5566 is pure xDSL modem/router
2. known also as Bell HH3300

Q:
are you sure that you have 1Gbps over xDSL it’s physically doesn’t exist include parallel bonding of your coper line by ISP.
Q2:
or do you have FTTH ONU GPON converted to RJ45 and connected into WAN slot?

just to be sure:
1. Sagemcom Fast 5566 is pure xDSL modem/router
2. known also as Bell HH3300

Q:
are you sure that you have 1Gbps over xDSL it’s physically doesn’t exist include parallel bonding of your coper line by ISP.
Q2:
or do you have FTTH ONU GPON converted to RJ45 and connected into WAN slot?

I have FFTH, fiber is coming out the wall and is connected straight into the router hh3000 via SFP connector I think the back. No RJ45 into the WAN slot. WAN slot is empty.

Here's my ISP speed result's:

Internet-Speed-Test-Measure-the-speed-of-your-Internet-connection.png

PC1 is connected on LAN1 port and my NAS on LAN2

Here's my iperf3 result for inside network.
Screenshot 2020-12-06 173959.png

So I know my internal network communication is good.

Now I'm wondering if I can run iperf on my colleague's computer at his home, and connect to the NAS to check the connection.

Cant connect via SFTP... every time i try it tells me the connection is refused. I went to my friend's home, tried to connect using WinSCP, Fillezilla and CyberDuck, all cant connect :-(

In DSM i activated SFTP via port 22. On my router I made sure port 22 is open and forwarded to my NAS. Still can't connect using FTP via internet.

Run speed test (go speedtest. net) locally and ask him to run it at his end too. Take note of the results.

Give the login credentials to your colleague. Just let him/her login like you do locally (but using DDNS of course), launch FileStation, find one of your video files, right-click on it and choose download and observe what’s reported by the browser’s download info.

Run speed test (go speedtest. net) locally and ask him to run it at his end too. Take note of the results.

Give the login credentials to your colleague. Just let him/her login like you do locally (but using DDNS of course), launch FileStation, find one of your video files, right-click on it and choose download and observe what’s reported by the browser’s download info.
This method gave me 25 to 35mb/s filestation via web browser ddns, not bad. Way better than the 2mb/s from Synology drive client... That is strange.

Also drive client keeps on disconnecting and saying abnormal status.

That’s good. That’s within the range for 1 GB fiber broadband (I expected it to be in the upper 20s). And to be clear, this is MB/s not Mb/s.

Now we know that you’ll need to focus on Drive, since we’ve proved that the links are doing what they’re supposed to do (transport at the advertised speed).

Unfortunately, I’m not using it to sync such amounts. I just use it daily to edit my files (spreadsheets and documents).

However, I’d go back and say, try a single big file in the synced folders. Just one, and see. I keep reading that Drive becomes very slow when there are a lot of files to sync (especially small files). Not sure if this happens initially until everything is synced and it takes off later or is it going to be like this.
You’ll need to experiment and test. Increase the number of files and see what happens when everything is synced and you edit a single file, is it going to sync faster.

If all fails, and if this is important for your operation, I’d ditch it and look for a more solid alternative (some I’ve mentioned earlier).

Also drive client keeps on disconnecting and saying abnormal status.
Try addressing this first. Check all the settings. If necessary uninstall and reinstall.
(what a stupid name they choose, trying to search for Drive, almost always, brings hard disk drive results).

back to the WAN findings:
then you have ONU GPON (FFTH) managed by really underperforming xDSL router
2. this router can’t support two line bonding for VDSL, then must be really weak in packet operation.
3. WAN speed. There is only one way how to check the real WAN speed between computers and your NAS = you have to run iPerf container, as was recommended

Regarding the test of speed (iperf):
- never use free servers as iperf target. It’s same as measure your internet speed by Ookla (or similar tests) to different ISP gateways = you will get a measurement, but out of reality.
- you have to set block / packets (k) parameter
- you have to use (F) file parameter also ...it’s better than really small sized random file.There is also option to use one of your exchanged large files.

Your Speed test verdict:
- 919/695Mbps this test (screenshot provided from the router GUI) is the speed from your router to your ISP gateway = clean and single hopped transmission. Defined by your ISP.
- 25 to 35 mbps (as was written its x8 bigger in real = 200 to 280 Mbps) is just 20% of the download speed. Then there is two points of view:
a) your real download speed was in this time really aggregated
b) upload speed of the source (your colleague) is the limited point

Your colleague:
- follow your block scheme he has same router as you
- seems to be same FFTH medium connected into WAN
- seems to be same ISP between you and him
- when same city, then there is a 99% probability of same Gateway = then just one hop between your router and his router = what is really clean.
Please confirm these assumptions.

When is my consideration right - you and your colleague have one and only limitation = Bell HH3000.

small addition to my consideration:
- upload speed in FFTx is oftentimes performing near by nominal speed = speed of the data product (in same WAN network). Then your colleague upload speed about 200Mbps is really weak only when he has same data product as you (NAS location).
- then there is another factor to the consideration about used routers performance

There is no way to find the router specifications regarding network performance most critical points. What is (maybe just) for me unclear and unacceptable.

Last - router controlled by ISP is really big weakness in data security.

I found this thread looking for answers with extremely slow Synology Drive performance.
I changed computers in Oct-2020, and since then, I have yet to be able to sync my large backup via drive.
I have a 10G network internally, and it operates at 10G speeds via iSCSI, but at 50MB/sec only via drag and drop, and Synology Drive performance is terrible. Still trouble shooting with Synology support.
The Sync side of Synology Drive seems to be more responsive that the backup.
Synology Drive sync picks up new files extremely fast, but if I change the name or update the file, Synology Drive takes awhile to get back to the files to update. This may be due to the large amount of resyncing with my backup that is ongoing.
My point is, Synology Drive does not seem to be functioning very well right now. I am not sure if this has always been an issue or a change since the latest DSM updates. It seems to only sync 500 files/sec at a time without any file transfer. I am using a DS1817+ and DS1621+.
While the Bell HH3000 may be a bottleneck, I recommend looking at another sync solution.
Have you tried the File request from FileStation?
See if you get better results by creating a download link to your colleague for initial file transfer, then send a files request for your colleague to add new files.
This is how I work with clients and outsourced editing.
This means your colleague will not be working directly on your DS1621+ just downloading and uploading data.

The Sync side of Synology Drive seems to be more responsive that the backup.
Synology Drive sync picks up new files extremely fast, but if I change the name or update the file, Synology Drive takes awhile to get back to the files to update. This may be due to the large amount of resyncing with my backup that is ongoing.
My point is, Synology Drive does not seem to be functioning very well right now. I am not sure if this has always been an issue or a change since the latest DSM updates. It seems to only sync 500 files/sec at a time without any file transfer. I am using a DS1817+ and DS1621+.
Q: just to be sure (lost in the described issue) - in case of the "backup" - are you thinking about Drive Backup? From Win OS environment? Synced by Drive to the NAS over LAN?
-----
I have a 10G network internally, and it operates at 10G speeds via iSCSI, but at 50MB/sec only via drag and drop, and Synology Drive performance is terrible.
Q: about iSCSI - you must mean LAN 10G performance. What is a standard sample of synced bunch of files for the Syno Drive? Both exactly same samples tested in iSCSI LUN and Drive also?

to be sure: iSCSI uses different transfer protocol than Drive (iSCSI is one of fastest in your NAS architecture)
for the LAN usage second fastest is NFS
then last is SMB (insufficient setup on both sides is frequently a reason of terrible performance)

for heavy (large capacity) file transfer is better use different channel than Drive (as was described above)... e.g. direct transfer by NFS (but you need W Enterprise version). But don't use SMB and NFS for transfers to same Share target, it's a disaster. For different than Enterprise version you have to use 3rd party Win NFS clients.

I have also plan to test this way:

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.