Currently reading
Drive Synology Drive iOS App Doesn’t Save back to Network

NAS
DS720+
Operating system
  1. macOS
Mobile operating system
  1. iOS
First time poster, but I think I’ve noticed an issue with the Synology Drive app functionality. I think the most recent update to the Synology Drive iOS app stopped file changes being saved to the Synology drive.

Scenario assumes you have latest iOS installed, latest Synology Drive app installed, and that the Synology Drive app is integrated into the native iOS Files app (ie. it’s an option on the left pane of the files app).

Open a work app such as MS Office on the ipad, then open a file by browsing to the iPadOS Files App within MS Office (which has Synology Drive integrated into it). Click on a word doc that is on your Synology Drive, make some changes, save/auto save.

I would expect that the changes are automatically applied to the network version of the file, however this is not the case. Changes are applied just to the file that was downloaded locally to the iPad.

You can check this by logging into your Synology Drive separately and checking the file that’s there versus the one that’s on the iPad.

It appears the most recent update to the Synology Drive iOS app stopped this core functionality from working. I don’t know whethere that’s due to a change by Apple in the way that the Files app now works, but it means that you can’t rely on the Synology Drive app to apply changes back to the network.

I bypassed Synology Drive in Files using FileBrowser Pro (maybe doesn’t need the Pro version). Connected by SFTP and this did open and properly save changes. I confirmed this updated had replicated by viewing in Synology Drive app.

Repeated this successfully using DS file via Files too.

So not ideal and defeats the usefulness of Drive, but it’s better to be certain that documents are updating that risk losing work.

I’m not using it this way.
Editing files directly from Apple Files -> Drive -> My Drive do not work for me. Documents opened from there will be copied in a local folder by the application before being edited and then not saved back to the original path.

What I found to be working is to setup a Two-Way sync task in the iOS Drive application. Then from the Office / Application / Apple files you will be able to access it through : Apple Files -> Sync Folder -> the files / folder you setup in Drive app.

Files edited from their are fully synced. At least on my setup.

I’m not sure I’m clear enough. I can share some screenshots eventually. Tell me

Editing files directly from Apple Files -> Drive -> My Drive do not work for me
I agree that this doesn’t work. With apps like MS 365, and their other Office ones, you open them first and then use their built-in access to Files (at present it’s a folder icon in the top right of Home page).

I’m not sure I’m clear enough
Seems clear. You’re saying to use the new Drive app feature (old DS cloud feature) to create a Sync Task to keep local copies on the phone. When editing the local version of the file this will now get sync’ed back to the NAS.

I agree that this doesn’t work. With apps like MS 365, and their other Office ones, you open them first and then use their built-in access to Files (at present it’s a folder icon in the top right of Home page).

Seems clear. You’re saying to use the new Drive app feature (old DS cloud feature) to create a Sync Task to keep local copies on the phone. When editing the local version of the file this will now get sync’ed back to the NAS.
Yes we are aligned, better explained your way 😉

One comment :

In fact, "Apple Files" or "Native application file dialog" -> Drive -> Sync Folder -> the files / folder you setup in Drive app should work, even in MS Office. You just have to choose "Files App" in section "Other Storage" of MS Office Open dialog box.

In fact, "Apple Files" or "Native application file dialog" -> Drive -> Sync Folder -> the files / folder you setup in Drive app should work, even in MS Office. You just have to choose "Files App" in section "Other Storage" of MS Office Open dialog box.
Yes that’s basically the way I was trying to explain. The only real difference between what successfully gets file updates back to the NAS is to first set up a Sync Task.

I just tested without a Sync Task but made the file available for offline access. No, this doesn’t work either. So something special with content maintained with a Sync Task.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Old thread notice: There have been no replies in this thread for quite some time. The last reply was on .
The content in this thread may no longer be relevant. It might be better to open a new thread instead.