Drive Synology Drive Mobile 3.0 beta - findings

Currently reading
Drive Synology Drive Mobile 3.0 beta - findings

NAS
DS718+
Just installed the beta for Synology Drive mobile 3.0 on my Android device.

I really like what I see. However it makes me wonder what the eventual strategy is of Synology, as this app now features very light Photos, DS Audio & DS Video features. Are they planning to migrate all mobile apps into this single one?

Since I never used DS Audio / Audiostation, I don't really mind this becoming my audio player, but it does need Google Cast (and others) support for that to really be useful.

There is the missing feature from DS cloud (which no longer works with recent versions of Synology Drive Server) to select a folder to keep a local sync copy. And photos backup is a feature from DS file.

I have other iOS 'file/folder access' apps that can be pseudo audio/video players but these are rather less easy to use that DS audio/video. Though I use DS audio less that Plexamp (or Plex) than I did, and DS video even less so. But they are still there for my fallback. Losing DS audio would be the worse as it does a reasonable job of being a remote control between Audio Station to DNLA/Airplay v1 speaker.

I have been using the beta for a while now. Had a few bugs and had to un-install it and re-install it a couple of times. Hopefully they will add features so they can get rid of the old style apps.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.