Synology Drive — Multiple Team Folders With Different Sync Settings?

Currently reading
Synology Drive — Multiple Team Folders With Different Sync Settings?

Operating system
  1. macOS
Mobile operating system
  1. iOS
Last edited:
After figuring out the hard way that On-Demand sync is completely unreliable, I'd like to set up a new Team Folder (with On-Demand sync off), where to put my "active projects" and have them synced on my Mac.

I can't find a way to add a second Team Folder and have it synced up two-way without On-Demand.

Anyone have tips?

I've created another folder in root and copied all the sharing permission of the existing and operative Synology Drive folder, but the macOS utility doesn't detect it when I start the wizard to connect a new Team Folder for sync.

Attachments

• Screenshot · Synology Drive Client Synology Drive Client · 2023-01-25 at 16.06.12.png
    Screenshot · Synology Drive Client Synology Drive Client · 2023-01-25 at 16.06.12.png
    386.1 KB · Views: 82
  • Screenshot · Synology Drive Client Synology Drive Client · 2023-01-25 at 16.06.31.png
    Screenshot · Synology Drive Client Synology Drive Client · 2023-01-25 at 16.06.31.png
    236.5 KB · Views: 59
  • Screenshot · Brave Browser Synology-DS923 - Synology NAS · 2023-01-25 at 23.48.10.png
    Screenshot · Brave Browser Synology-DS923 - Synology NAS · 2023-01-25 at 23.48.10.png
    28 KB · Views: 59
You have promoted that new folder as the actual Teams folder using the Drive Admin console yes?
Thanks for replying. It is enabled as a shared folder in Synology Drive Admin Console. Is there any other settings I should look into?

Screenshot · Brave Browser Synology-DS923 - Synology NAS · 2023-01-26 at 10.31.27@2x.png

Its been a while since I have used Drive but then it might be that on demand can only be towards a single folder. Is it an option to disable the current task and try and add a new folder.
I could try that but if you put it like that it sounds like it's most likely not possible to have multiple team folders with different sync settings? If that's case I'd rather leave the current folder as is and use ChronoSync with SFTP to sync my "Active Project" folder separately...

Took the opportunity to work out why I no longer got the Drive overlay icons after migrating the old Mac to the new, thought it was something to do with the migration and would require deleting the tasks or completely reinstalling Drive client. I did both.

I have two Team folders and my own Drive home folder.
I create multiple standard two-way tasks between subfolders of my /home/Drive to folders in my Mac home account: Drive won't let you define two tasks that overlap locations on the NAS, even if you set the filter to exclude folders.​
Normally I have a standard two-way task for one of the Team folders. The other Team folder isn't sync'ed to the Mac.​

I have now set up two new two-way on-demand tasks: the first to a sub-folder in /home/Drive; the second to the remaining Team folder. They both have the grey cloud overlay icon on files and folders that are on the NAS but not on my Mac.

So the result is I have a standard and on-demand two-way tasks on both the personal Drive folder and Team folders.

None of this fixed my original overlay icon issue for normal sync tasks. But I managed to add this issue to my old MacBook Air.

But I found a solution over at the Other Place. Going to Mac's System Settings / Privacy & Security / Extensions (formerly System Preferences / Extensions) go through switching off extensions and then back on. For me what worked was switching off Drive and GraphicConverter extensions and then back on again. This worked for both Mac Mini and MacBook Air.

Took the opportunity to work out why I no longer got the Drive overlay icons after migrating the old Mac to the new, thought it was something to do with the migration and would require deleting the tasks or completely reinstalling Drive client. I did both.

I have two Team folders and my own Drive home folder.
I create multiple standard two-way tasks between subfolders of my /home/Drive to folders in my Mac home account: Drive won't let you define two tasks that overlap locations on the NAS, even if you set the filter to exclude folders.​
Normally I have a standard two-way task for one of the Team folders. The other Team folder isn't sync'ed to the Mac.​

I have now set up two new two-way on-demand tasks: the first to a sub-folder in /home/Drive; the second to the remaining Team folder. They both have the grey cloud overlay icon on files and folders that are on the NAS but not on my Mac.

So the result is I have a standard and on-demand two-way tasks on both the personal Drive folder and Team folders.

None of this fixed my original overlay icon issue for normal sync tasks. But I managed to add this issue to my old MacBook Air.

But I found a solution over at the Other Place. Going to Mac's System Settings / Privacy & Security / Extensions (formerly System Preferences / Extensions) go through switching off extensions and then back on. For me what worked was switching off Drive and GraphicConverter extensions and then back on again. This worked for both Mac Mini and MacBook Air.
Thanks for your input. How did you add the second team folder in the wizard? Are you saying that this is possible only if both folders are two-way sync tasks?

I just followed the '+ Create' process and selected the available home or Team folder. For Team Folders it's the whole folder or nothing. As for the different sync options, I only used two-way because that's what I need.

** I see what you mean. For on-demand there is only two-way sync and no facility to change Sync Rules.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.