Currently reading
Synology drive sharesync, Please help.

NAS
DS812+, DS216se
Operating system
  1. Windows
Mobile operating system
  1. iOS
Hello, I am really hoping someone can help me with this.

I am very familiar with Synology Drive when it come to backing up my windows computers on my network.

what I am confused with is
"synology drive sharesync" when it come to backing up one of my NAS boxes to the other.

this is what I am trying to do. I want to back up one NAS to my second NAS. I do not like Hyper Backup.

when trying to set up Share Sync I get this message,

No share folder available to sync, please go to synology drive server on the remote NAS to enable the shared folders to sync.

when i go to "synology drive server" I don't see this option anywhere, and I don't know what to do.
I cant find any tutorial, I have the instructions on Sinology's site and they don't make any scene.

can someone PLEASE hel[p me set this up..

I just want to backup my DS218+ to my DS216se.

PLEASE HELP ME.
thank you.

incase anyone wants to know why I do not Like Hyper backup. which I have been using.

The reason I do not like it is because its not backing up the raw files. It backs up the entire NAS into a file type that can only be opened with the Hyper back up explorer, or whatever its called.
you cant even see what file you are looking at using explorer, you have to download it to even see what it is.
no thumbnail view

I just want the actual files to be copied from one NAS to the other NAS, should be an easy process, but apparently its not. And I don't know why.

another person said they were using Drive Sync to do this, which is the only reason I even tried. But now this is just causing more stress.

it should be a simple task to copy the contents on one to another. but that apparently cant happen??

Drive is literally the simplest program made to backup files with. If it worked like the windows application it would be beautiful.

hyper backup sucks. For the reason I already talked about. So no need to suggest that.

Rsync is also not as easy to setup as the drive client.

And does it copy over straight files?
Uncompressed files??

I just need to copy, or sync, or backup whatever term you want to use a couple folders from one NAS to the other. this should be the simplest thing to do it the world. I don't know why they have to make it so complicated.

If you know a simple way, please explain how to do it.

hyper backup sucks. For the reason I already talked about. So no need to suggest that.
How about you listen for advice and actually try it? HB using single-file method will solve your problem. This is the easiest/simple way you are looking for.

Someone maybe able to correct me but I thought that Drive ShareSync is a client mechanism to sync a host Drive Server's content to the client NAS. Where 'sync' isn't the same as backup: changes by Drive clients and direct file system edits on the Drive Server's NAS will be propagated to across the Drive eco-system.

[I had always assumed that the point of ShareSync was to maintain Drive (Cloud Station) content in-sync across multiple sites, where users access it from the local NAS's storage. This then removes latency between client and server, which would happen if all connections were served by a single, mostly off-site, NAS.]

A Hyper Backup 'single version' task would provide a similar snapshot of 'now' but the 'now' would be at the point when the task runs. That would give a limited window of recovery between task runs. Plus it maintains the files and folders structure of the source.

A second HB task with multi-versions can then be used to create a vault that has the archive of changes and accessible by HB Explorer.

This is exactly what I do: rsync enable on other DSM NAS for single-version clone of files; Synology remote NAS for multi-version.

there are 2 point of views:
- rsync single version backup by HB. In case of restore you need just restore all the files. But only one version of your data will be kept in the backup destination. What isn’t ok in case of dynamic changes of the primary data a time of the backup process consumption.

- Drive ShareSync. With this solution you can automatically rsync all defined remote content from (primary NAS) into your secondary independent Drive NAS (single/two ways) to provide share primary NAS Drive content to another site.

I like the second way and I use this scenario daily for this purposes:
- I can provide part of the content from the Primary NAS Drive ecosystem to another site with independent Drive ecosystem. Include versioning. Perfect for a real time interoperability.
- then I can use such content as kind of backup (also) for the primary site (single way from primary to remote). Also useful for a geo backup. Even with possibility to immediately share the Drive services from the remote site for Primary site users. Then I have also business continuity solved.

So. There is necessary to take into account what is primary target.

For RAW photo content:
- no versioning on both sides
- single way from Primary to Secondary
and you have faster an better backup of the Primary site than HB scheduled task.
Yeap both sites must be still available. Perfect for WAN or LAN. Works for me many years.

There is also possible to create rsync task out of HB:
Control Panel > File Services > rsync
what is also useful for this scenario, operated by two NFS shares in same LAN.

How about you listen for advice and actually try it? HB using single-file method will solve your problem. This is the easiest/simple way you are looking for.
instead of me "listen for advice" how about you read and see that HB is what I am already using and that I don't like it for reasons that I have already listed.

But thanks anyways.
-- post merged: --

Someone maybe able to correct me but I thought that Drive ShareSync is a client mechanism to sync a host Drive Server's content to the client NAS. Where 'sync' isn't the same as backup: changes by Drive clients and direct file system edits on the Drive Server's NAS will be propagated to across the Drive eco-system.

[I had always assumed that the point of ShareSync was to maintain Drive (Cloud Station) content in-sync across multiple sites, where users access it from the local NAS's storage. This then removes latency between client and server, which would happen if all connections were served by a single, mostly off-site, NAS.]

A Hyper Backup 'single version' task would provide a similar snapshot of 'now' but the 'now' would be at the point when the task runs. That would give a limited window of recovery between task runs. Plus it maintains the files and folders structure of the source.

A second HB task with multi-versions can then be used to create a vault that has the archive of changes and accessible by HB Explorer.

This is exactly what I do: rsync enable on other DSM NAS for single-version clone of files; Synology remote NAS for multi-version.
it is possible to use drive ShareSync to copy data from on NAS to another. its just complicated to set it up.
but I have already given up.

when trying to set up Share Sync I get this message,

No share folder available to sync, please go to synology drive server on the remote NAS to enable the shared folders to sync.

when i go to "synology drive server" I don't see this option anywhere, and I don't know what to do.
I cant find any tutorial, I have the instructions on Sinology's site and they don't make any scene.

So you didn't check this yet?
1614022385112.png

it is possible to use drive ShareSync to copy data from on NAS to another.
Well, its 'sync the data' instead of 'copy the data' that is the right word here. I'm doing this method for years.

So you didn't check this yet?
View attachment 3121

Well, its 'sync the data' instead of 'copy the data' that is the right word here. I'm doing this method for years.
when I go to that page they all say Not Enabled and the enable button is greyed out. I don't know how to enable them.
I really just want to sync a couple folders from one NAS to another. I don't know why they make this so hard to figure out.

I need some sort of walk through.

Attachments

• syn.PNG
    syn.PNG
    128.7 KB · Views: 66

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.