Synology Drive. User can't see or access MyDrive even though it seems to exist with the right permissions

Currently reading
Synology Drive. User can't see or access MyDrive even though it seems to exist with the right permissions

NAS
DS1910+
I tried searching for this issue here, but was unable to find anything like it.

I have the latest DSM 7.1 non-beta installed on my NAS. I have a single large volume set up on the NAS where everything resides.

I recently installed the Synology Drive suite of apps on the NAS and I enabled Drive for one of the users. When the user logs into Drive, they are told the MyDrive folder doesn't exist. However, it is my understanding that the default MyDrive folder is typically located in the /homes/USERNAME/Drive/
The Drive folder exists and the user has permissions for the folder and MyDrive is enabled as a location in the Team Folders section. I can see the folder just fine in File Station, too. The user has permissions to read/write that folder, also.

I will also mention that the user with the issue does have a space in their username (in case that proves to be relevant).

I'm probably missing something obvious, but I can't think what it could be. I'd think that Synology would automatically set up the folders properly since it is a feature DSM handles (the creation of homes for all users). Any ideas?

The requirements are: User Home has to be enabled (Control Panel); and, the 'My Drive' team folder enabled in Drive Admin Console. Both of which you say you have done.

In DSM/File Station each non-admin user will have a /home. This is a pseudo-folder that links to /homes/<username>, but only DSM accounts with admin rights can see /homes and it's not advisable to do day-to-day work using an admin account... leave those for management tasks.

For Synology Drive the default 'My Drive' location is /home/<username/Drive but this can be changed to /home/<username> using the Convert button.
1676110888956.png

Have you changed any of the file and folder permissions?

Attachments

• 1676110420882.png
    1676110420882.png
    22.4 KB · Views: 54
I haven’t intentionally changed any permissions for the volume or the user, but I’m wondering if another app I have installed on the same volume might be messing with things. I did check the user permissions in control panel and they look ok. I didn’t enable advanced permissions, either. The user doesn’t have custom permissions set, either.

Am a noob also and with Fredberts help got my NAS straightened out. On topic. Could you have missed the setting under application permissions. If I recall, there are actually 2 places for it. Drove me nuts!

The permissions screenshot is for the Drive folder in the user's homes directory, but the permissions look exactly the same for the main user folder in the homes directory. All permissions are checked, including the administrative options not shown in the screenshot.

The second screenshot is from within Drives as the user. See the disclosure triangle next to My Drive in the sidebar? If you click on that a pop up says the file or directory does not exist.

Attachments

• permissionsondrivefolder.jpg
    permissionsondrivefolder.jpg
    61.3 KB · Views: 136
  • Drive Error.png
    Drive Error.png
    41.7 KB · Views: 134
Does that user get any similar messages when attempting to open a team folder ? Is there a my drive folder in the users’ folder that’s having this issue? Is it a sub folder of any other folders?

For instance as an admin I see/have the following structure: homes, then user, then the users data folder. Prior I believe there was the user folder then drive folder. Synology rolled out an update, previous screenshot in this thread to convert, which moved the data from the drive folder to root folder of user.

Can you shed light as to where you’re at with your setup?

In drive admin can we see a screenshot of what the homes folder or drive folder is saying/showing (first line).

No, shared team folders open and work normally.

My NAS has the following structure for users: homes/USERNAME/ then there are folders called "Drive" and "Photos" and "#recycle" in that location. There is no "data" or "My Drive" folder anywhere that I can see in "homes" or user's folders. When I disable the homes folder creation for users, the homes folder goes away and then when I re-enable it, the homes/USERNAME folders come back and when the user accesses Synology Drive or Photos for the first time a Drive or Photos folder gets created. The photos app works just fine but the Drive app says the file or folder is missing.

Have you done the drive conversion in drive admin relating to location of the drive folder?
-- post merged: --

There is no "data" or "My Drive" folder anywhere that I can see in "homes" or user's folders
The drive folder is the my drive folder in the synology drive interface

Under the user that you’re having an issue with create a test folder under that users’ user folder and see if it shows in drive.

Have you done the drive conversion in drive admin relating to location of the drive folder?

The drive folder is the my drive folder in the synology drive interface

Under the user that you’re having an issue with create a test folder under that users’ user folder and see if it shows in drive.
1. Yes, I tried doing the conversion. It did not help or change anything in Drive as far as I can see.
2. Yes, I manually created a test folder in the Drive folder and it does not appear for the user when they log into the Drive app. Similarly, files I place there do not show up for the logged in user either.

Last edited:
When the user logs into Drive, they are told the MyDrive folder doesn't exist. However, it is my understanding that the default MyDrive folder is typically located in the /homes/USERNAME/Drive/
This was the old way. The new way is the folders to show in drive will be under the root user folder. If you go into drive admin see if you have a convert button or not as mentioned previously by fredbert along with his screenshot. If you have a convert button data folders will need to be user/drive folder. If no convert button then folders will need to be in root user folder.

Yes, I manually created a test folder in the Drive folder and it does not appear for the user when they log into the Drive app. Similarly, files I place there do not show up for the logged in user either.
Can I see this in a screen shot using file station

I have attempted to replicate your issue. I started by creating a duplicate test account and stripped the user of all permissions of the folder using file station; that did not break it. There really isn't anywhere else dictating a permission issue here.

1) If you havent rebooted the NAS, try that.​
2) You can try to uninstall drive and reinstall after you did the conversion (I think you did already).​
3) If this is the only user having the issue, it is user related. I suggest delete the user out and re-create; there must be some sort of corruption somewhere. (Make sure you backup the user data).​

I did run the conversion, but it didn't change anything, there are still errors every time the user accesses Drive.
Here's the screenshot of the manually added files. The user has full access to both. If the user logs into drives, they are still told the file or folder does not exist.

Attachments

• manualfile.jpg
    manualfile.jpg
    56.2 KB · Views: 37
I did run the conversion, but it didn't change anything, there are still errors every time the user accesses Drive.
Here's the screenshot of the manually added files. The user has full access to both. If the user logs into drives, they are still told the file or folder does not exist.
Can the user log into DSM and access the folder/files thru DS File?

See my previous post I suspect the user profile is corrupted and would suggest to delete it and re-create (backup the data); especially true if this is the only user having the issue.

*This is short of anyone else's suggestion here, but would most likely include advanced stuff such as ssh work.

Well, no user that existed before Drive was first installed can access Drive (same issues as reported here). I had not tried creating a new user, though, so I did that just now.

The new user I just created works just fine in Drives.

None of the older users do (and there are something like 20 of them), though. Unfortunately, it isn't practical for me to delete all existing users and recreate them just so Drive works. It is just not critical enough to warrant the days of work involved to nuke and recreate the existing users and restore their data.

The odd thing is from within DSM itself, I don't notice any difference between permissions and ownership between the new account and one of the old ones that has the same access. I'm willing to enable SSH access if it will help me track down the file(s) that need fixing. I work on Linux all the time. I've just never worked with DSM on the command line before.

The new user I just created works just fine in Drives.

None of the older users do (and there are something like 20 of them), though. Unfortunately, it isn't practical for me to delete all existing users and recreate them just so Drive works. It is just not critical enough to warrant the days of work involved to nuke and recreate the existing users and restore their data.
Agreed, 20 users is a lot. I think now with the information you have you can open a ticket with Synology to see if they can better assist in some way. Simply state previous/existing users cannot access but if you create a new user they can.

Or if someone here is more advanced with SSH abilities they can, and now have better information, of where to look/dig.

Good luck!

Hi @Disordant!
I just stumbled upon the same issue as you, and was wondering: have you opened a ticket by Synology support? Have you been able to fix your issue?
Thanks in advance for your help!
Adrien.

Hi @Discordant, having the same issue as you, did you find any solution that worked?other than creating new users, because it does seem to work, but old user account, doesn't matter if they are admins or normal accounts and I've checked the permissions, they are owners for their folder /homes/username with full control permissions but everytime you login to Synology Drive app you get the "Files or Directory doesn't exist.", even though it does, the app automatically creates the Drive folder if it doesn't already exist. I don't have the conversion option, running DSM 7.2-64570 Update1. Does anyone have a working solution that doesn't require you to recreate accounts?

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.