1. RT2600ac
  2. MR2200ac
Operating system
  1. Linux
  2. macOS
  3. other
Mobile operating system
  1. iOS
I use Drive between various computers, iPhones, and iPads to my DS1019+, but I've noticed when setting it up on a new computer (all the different synced folders) it takes days for it finish syncing. This week on my MacBook Pro Drive seemed to lose it's settings so I've had to set up all my synced folders again.

There are quite a few folders (Documents, Desktop, Work, Photos etc.) and a lot of files (lots of small files), but whenever I use Resilio Sync for the odd folder it always seems to complete the initial sync much quicker than Drive.

I'm thinking of only using Resilio Sync to sync everything between our devices and the DS1019+, which will then backup to another NAS at home, and another at my parents' house using Hyper Backup and Snapshot Replication.

I'm wondering what other people are using. Drive or Resilio Sync (both?), or something else? And whether anyone else has experienced Drive being slow when setting up initial syncs versus other sync software?

jeyare

Subscriber
you can’t compare two different products Resilio and Drive.

Explanation:
Resilio is pure sync service based on BitTorrent sharing protocol. Then when you have more than 2 devices with same data, you can speed up your sync. But just sync.

Instead Drive is cloud service. With file changes committed to a versioning database, data sync, include advanced consistency check, based on your Drive server or client setup via various protocols as SMB, AFP, FTP, and WebDAV. Include Filesystem monitoring at DSM side.

NAS
DS918+
Operating system
  1. Windows
I've switched from Drive to Sync recently (since I only need syncing) and it seems pretty stable. Drive is a little more complex to work with (if you're reinstalling your NAS or so you have to relink the clients).

jeyare

Subscriber
reason is same - why someone use fast car and someone heavy and complex 4x4 off road.
each of them can help us, but differently and for different jobs

jonohunt.design
NAS
DS1019+, DS218+, DS416play, unRAID
Router
  1. RT2600ac
  2. MR2200ac
Operating system
  1. Linux
  2. macOS
  3. other
Mobile operating system
  1. iOS
you can’t compare two different products Resilio and Drive.

Explanation:
Resilio is pure sync service based on BitTorrent sharing protocol. Then when you have more than 2 devices with same data, you can speed up your sync. But just sync.

Instead Drive is cloud service. With file changes committed to a versioning database, data sync, include advanced G consistency check, based on your Drive server or client setup via various protocols as SMB, AFP, FTP, and WebDAV. Include Filesystem monitoring at DSM side.
I think for my use case the only thing I’d miss from using Drive to sync between my devices is versioning. Although once the files are on my Synology Snapshot Replication runs every 5 minutes on my most important folders, less frequently on other folders, and Hyper Backup as well.

Plus, I don’t intend to stop using Drive completely. Once the files are on my Synology I can use Drive to access files on my Synology (that aren’t synced), SMB, FTP, Drive ShareSync between a few NAS boxes etc.

NAS
DS918+, DS418
Operating system
  1. macOS
Mobile operating system
  1. iOS
I stopped using Resilio Sync on my NAS as it just consumes too much memory. Drive all the way for me.

Sync has for me some advantages, because you don't have to move your directories on disk, you can leave them where they are and syncing Mac apps is much faster. But right now I am moving to drive, because Sync is on every computer which I use top consumer of processor time, energy and also battery time goes down. Main weaknesses of Drive is syncing lot of small files (like Mac apps).

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Welcome to SynoForum.com!

SynoForum.com is an unofficial Synology forum for NAS owners and enthusiasts.

Registration is free, easy and fast!