NAS
DS1621+, DS1019+, DS218+
Operating system
  1. Linux
  2. macOS
  3. other
Mobile operating system
  1. iOS
I use Drive between various computers, iPhones, and iPads to my DS1019+, but I've noticed when setting it up on a new computer (all the different synced folders) it takes days for it finish syncing. This week on my MacBook Pro Drive seemed to lose it's settings so I've had to set up all my synced folders again.

There are quite a few folders (Documents, Desktop, Work, Photos etc.) and a lot of files (lots of small files), but whenever I use Resilio Sync for the odd folder it always seems to complete the initial sync much quicker than Drive.

I'm thinking of only using Resilio Sync to sync everything between our devices and the DS1019+, which will then backup to another NAS at home, and another at my parents' house using Hyper Backup and Snapshot Replication.

I'm wondering what other people are using. Drive or Resilio Sync (both?), or something else? And whether anyone else has experienced Drive being slow when setting up initial syncs versus other sync software?

you can’t compare two different products Resilio and Drive.

Explanation:
Resilio is pure sync service based on BitTorrent sharing protocol. Then when you have more than 2 devices with same data, you can speed up your sync. But just sync.

Instead Drive is cloud service. With file changes committed to a versioning database, data sync, include advanced consistency check, based on your Drive server or client setup via various protocols as SMB, AFP, FTP, and WebDAV. Include Filesystem monitoring at DSM side.

I've switched from Drive to Sync recently (since I only need syncing) and it seems pretty stable. Drive is a little more complex to work with (if you're reinstalling your NAS or so you have to relink the clients).

you can’t compare two different products Resilio and Drive.

Explanation:
Resilio is pure sync service based on BitTorrent sharing protocol. Then when you have more than 2 devices with same data, you can speed up your sync. But just sync.

Instead Drive is cloud service. With file changes committed to a versioning database, data sync, include advanced G consistency check, based on your Drive server or client setup via various protocols as SMB, AFP, FTP, and WebDAV. Include Filesystem monitoring at DSM side.
I think for my use case the only thing I’d miss from using Drive to sync between my devices is versioning. Although once the files are on my Synology Snapshot Replication runs every 5 minutes on my most important folders, less frequently on other folders, and Hyper Backup as well.

Plus, I don’t intend to stop using Drive completely. Once the files are on my Synology I can use Drive to access files on my Synology (that aren’t synced), SMB, FTP, Drive ShareSync between a few NAS boxes etc.

Sync has for me some advantages, because you don't have to move your directories on disk, you can leave them where they are and syncing Mac apps is much faster. But right now I am moving to drive, because Sync is on every computer which I use top consumer of processor time, energy and also battery time goes down. Main weaknesses of Drive is syncing lot of small files (like Mac apps).

As I want to sync folders from DS418 and old DS414j and there is no drive App in DSM6,
I'm looking for alternatives.

Can Resilo Sync do this Job?

my advice is to reconsider syncing. what is your objective?
sync is dangerous, when you delete a file, or corrupt it, your sync will delete/ corrupt it on the target as well. So as a backup, a sync is not ok,

you might consider setting op a hyper backup single version. The format is also uncompresses, but because of the delay, it gives a bit of Protection.
or use a Full HB with versions if appropriate ..

if you really want to sync, cloud sync is also available. It requires you to setup webdav on the target nas. Also the rsync base Shared folder sync ( 1 direction) is still available.

my advice is to reconsider syncing. what is your objective?
THX
I want to have a music folder synced on both synos to try several apps, Tagging and playing music on the old DS414j.
Not to install e.g. Jellyfin on the DS418 where the music folder will be deleted when found the suitable app to deal with the music in future on the old DS 414j.
So The sync is only temporally.
A backup is kept separately from This.
THX again for the warning.

As I have problems with syncthing on the old DS414j which seems not to support the actual Version 1.20.3-27
so I'm looking for alternatives.

With the recent Synology Drive you have the option to activate sync on demand. This should prevent your new assigned device to sync. Syncing the placeholders does seem faster with Synology Drive then Resilio.

I have been using Resilio for few years, advantage is: if you have more then one device over the internet that share the. Same date it will sync faster from the multiple peers. You are able to choose an external location for the location of the sync folder. Disadvantages are Resilio is not very user friendly when it comes to customizations, I have experience issues syncing between devices due to permissions issues and your bandwidth can be unwillingly hijacked when other devices are syncing. Also you are giving your NAS inbound access over the Ports it is using. But you will have this on both options.

My major issues with Synology Drive is that the sync location has to be on a internal drive.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.